Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 6 months ago

Can I change my last name to my birth name after a divorce?

I am getting out of a toxic marriage and I would really love to change my last name back to my birth name. I was adopted and so of course my last name was changed to something different. I was just wondering if after a divorce instead of going to my adopted name if I could go to my birth name. Or would it be more complicated then that and more legal work? I'm in the state of Utah if that helps.

• Foofa

In Utah you can change your name to anything you want for any reason you want, other than fraud, so this should be fine.

You can, but it will be a legal name change, not a simple change due to a change in marital status.

you can change it to what ever you like,,,

like carrot soup if it thrills you

there will be a paper trial it does not absolve you of contracts and debt

You can change your last name to any name you want at any time other than for fraudulent purposes. There's no law that says you have to change your name on marriage. It's just a convention.

Elizabeth Taylor got married eight times but was still MISS Taylor.

You don't change it after the divorce. Resorting to a previous name is PART of the divorce. You are asked what name you will use in the future, and it's written into the divorce.

You then use the Judgment of Divorce as a legal proof and change your legal documents.

If you want to restore your birth name after a divorce, this needs to be put into the divorce papers. Just ask your attorney to include it in the divorce decree.

If you don't, then it's going to cost a good bit of money to change your last name legally at another time.

• ?

Here is a website describing name changes in Utah: https://www.utcourts.gov/resources/forms/namechang...

• i + i

Yes, you don't even have

to wait for after divorce.

You can change your name at any time by paying for it through Births deaths and Marriages - its called Deed Poll. As long as you aren't doing it to hide who you are for illegal activities you are fine choosing whichever name you please.

There are some circumstances where you may be required to declare all names you were known by, otherwise you can use that name to change all ID

• Sal*UK

I'm in the UK - but I did EXCTLY this (same circumstances!) I simply did a change of name deed well done on starting over too.

• Merry

Same in Australia - just contact department of Births Deaths & Marriages & apply for a change of name. It’s simple but emotionally massive. Well done!