Doc Awesome! asked in PetsOther - Pets · 5 months ago

Do our pets ever really love us – or do they just stick around for the food?

• patty

do u really love your parents or do u just hang around for dinner

Depends on how you treat them. If all you do is feed and clean after them, that is how they see you. You make socializing with them fun, the form a stronger bond and look forward to being with you.

A few unusual pets I raised from infant, loved me like mama. A mouse, a possum, a skunk,,no question they loved me.

My dogs of course, the have an unconditional love for their master.

I even rescued an injured bat I had to care for, unable to fend for self.

His exercise crawling on the floor, he would follow me around.

I know he missed me bad when he went to a sanctuary for bats, but had is own kind for friends.

When my mother passed away, I adopted her cat. The cat tended to be fat but she stopped eating and tried to starve herself. The vet tested her for everything and found no trouble but he surgically inserted a tube into her throat and I had to feed her through the tube and give her meds to prevent her from intentionally choking up the food. The vet said it would take about 6 weeks and he would remove the tube. A day or two before 6 weeks, she pulled out the tube herself and started eating. I would say that is love.

• Doc Awesome!

I've definitely had good cats and dogs, I think they have individual personalities.

Yes and yes

• VAA

Dogs for instance, are pack animals with a pack mentality, not really love but loyalty to the pack and its leader. Goes back millions of years when man and dog became allies where food was concerned. We as humans feel the love for our pets and I believe it translates as loyalty to the pack....they need to feel secure and safe with us.

I think they love us and biologically the food is what attracted them to us. Like dogs, dogs decided to give up their freedom for security and survival with humans, although not exactly giving up their freedom but something made them allow us to domesticate them, probably adapted social brains that wolves lack, although you can still see their wolf nature

Dogs do. Cats not so much.