Why do Americans racially label themselves?

In Australia, there’s no such thing as bi racial, mixed race etc. Australia is multi cultural and it’s pretty common for families to consist of different ethnicities. Why do Americans label innocent children as bi racial or mixed race etc?

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

I agree. I'm from the UK and here, very few people care at all what anyone's ethnicity is.

It doesn't matter. We're all people. Where I live I see people of all skin colours, of various appearances, often within one family or group of friends. It simply doesn't matter.

It really has to do with "historic racial victimhood." Many black people in America refuse to "leave the past in the past", so they insist on maintaining their "blackness."

• Zirp

Because their official government paperwork still pretends that humans come in races, even though science has proven otherwise in the 1950's

This system based on race is akin to classifying people into ethnic groups. I'm quite sure that in Australia, authorities can also ask you at some point if you're an immigrant, and where do you come from. To my knowledge, the law doesn't treat Australian Aborigines the same as immigrants or Australians of European descent. It's true they're all humans, but different ethnic groups (or races in America) may behave differently when it comes to crime, suicide, mental health, employment status, literacy rate, number of children per family, etc.. That's why we often hear in the news that African Americans have the highest crime rate, or that Native American men commit suicide more often than men of another ethnicity. The reasons for this are historical: black people in America are the descendants of slaves, Australian/Native American Aboriginal cultures have undergone ethnocide, having (lots of) children is encouraged in certain cultures/religions, etc..