Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 4 months ago

Philosophically speaking, is there any real point in answering questions on this site or is it just ego massaging?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Best Answer

The point is (supposed to be) helping other people - solving problems or saving expense.

In a very small way, making the world better.

The problem is that the majority of users appear more interested in ranting or annoying / insulting others, instead of helping.

• peter m
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

Dubious honour of being an ANON as well. What I mean is... how do we know that this anon has not done any ranting / insulting himself ? we don't & perhaps that is why this person remains...anonymous.

• 4 months ago

I need to massage my ego to release some of the tensions cramping my creative mind.

• 4 months ago

I had to laugh.

j153e saying... "Wittgenstein's wisdom seems more appropriate in a venue specifically not Ivory Tower".

What ? Does he mean a CHURCH or similar ?

And more-than-ever it should be understood that this particular god-fearing philosophy is nothing but relativistic

claptrap (in religious & historicist clothing). And there are some good books, teachers & good sources if you know where to look - "relative philosophy" is not one of them. It took me a while to figure out the poverty of this type of regurgitated stuff... and many many echoes of it can be heard in this category. What it is is that they "learned" subjective philosophy nonsense from years ago..spiced it up with a few ridiculous so-called-facts from historical Greece..& hey presto we hold some long lost philosophy (in their relativist mindset).

The best advice I can give is the same as what Socrates gave about those Greek apologists, err sorry the Greek Peripatetics. And this is (is) to be critical of all of their answers...especially the ONES WHO HAVE ASKED PHILOSOPHY QUESTIONS.

Or just a few of any questions.

• peter m
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

(too right its strange...although watch out from now on you may find that quickly rectified - covering up-his-tracks so to speak. JUST LIKE A LOT HERE try-to-do ! )

• 4 months ago

I began here thinking it was a place of intelligent discourse & sharing of useful information. I have found that it's actually a sad joke. I stick around now only to reach the 7th level, as I promised myself I would see it through that far. However, the same day I attain that level, I am GONE, GONE, GONE.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

It seems like people read the answers. To reduce massaging, you could anticipate that some people will find your answers unsatisfactory.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

So, you have a point? Didn't the Beatles talk about a little boy who had a point? I think the blue meanies were involved too.

• 4 months ago

it matter to the person asking the question

• peter m
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

And they picked an "anon" who could be telling some... philosophical truth as I already commented.

• There is a point. It need not be for others. But if others derive satisfaction from our contribution then that is fine too.

We can answer questions because we want to answer questions without extrinsic reward. We speak to our own souls as well as we do to the souls of others. And we can look back and be helped by our own words.

• peter m
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

And this is good rather than bad : a subjective method which is beginning to have some useful application, an answer toward awareness and understanding. Don't put-the-tool-down so to speak.. please continue to marry some new motivations of subjective defined limits with undefined limits -as above

• 4 months ago

A long time again when Morpheus and I and others had better questions to answer there was good done in this category. When Yahoo changed Answers a few years ago questions here dropped in quantity and quality.

• peter m
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

At least some others have a clearer & thus More Open researched idea of what is needed to make better philosophy more-behavioural-&-thus-evident. With the stated aim of more philosophy acumen in-search-of new & better knowledge from that.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Personally, the occasional email of thanks or a "best" answer is a blessing thankfully and gratefully given to God. There are some good books, ideas, teachers, and teachings, and is it a pleasure to connect people with imo good sources.

Would note that now and again this kind of question or perspective has been raised re Yes another hierarchically officious organization, with it's online ego-bit-coinage of "best answer," etc., and that there are two additional answers: Wittgenstein's awareness that he learned by conversation with non-philosophy generalists, and personally in that while here on Yahoo!A am always multitasking, so there's no time unwisely invested in answering real people whose honest questions, directed to "Philosophy" section, are ironically often redirected by those able to do so, to venues such as Psychology, Rodents, Tata, etc. Those latter "purists" have continued in their practice of weeding through questions like an admissions officer weeds through matriculation papers, while Wittgenstein's wisdom seems more appropriate in a venue specifically not ivory-tower.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.