Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 6 months ago

When did the 21st century start?

My parents always taught me that the 21st century started on January 1, 2000, but Wikipedia says it started on January 1, 2001 and that it is distinct from the century known as the 2000s which began on January 1, 2000 and will end on December 31, 2099.

What is the difference?

Are there 2 different centuries ?

Lol, I dont get it, I was searching for the difference but couldn’t find it and I am confused about when the 21st century started.

• Ben

On January 1, 2000.

It technically started January 1, 2001, but it was celebrated January 1, 2000.

• RR

There was no Year zero. Mathematically, it started on January 1st 2001.

However, that would have been no fun, so January 1st 2000 is the date popularly used.

• Snoopy

At 00:00 of January 1st 2000. It also signed a new millennium.

New century and millennium as well as new decade.

Edit: Sorry but that makes no sense, century means 100 years, so it can't end in 2099 especially if it started later. I'll say Wikipedia is wrong twice, besides, why being "accurate"? We are using a Gregorian calendar which is far from it.

This is a moot question. I would go numerically as opposed to the stupid calendar based on a fairy tale...

• Matt85

At the beginning of the 21st century.

The Millennium was celebrated globally as starting on January 1st 2000.

Most people were aware of the 'error' but couldn't have cared less about it, and still don't.

Nobody wanted to wait another year to party - and many governments were more worried about the implications of the Y2K issue as computers changed from 19-- to 20--. The Millennium was also taken to mark the start of the 21st century, and in the grand scheme of things a few months either way makes no difference.

The maths is quite simple: a century ends after the passage of 100 years. So the first century ended on the last day AD 100. The second century therefore started the first day of 101. The same rules apply so the commencement of the third millennium was the first day 2001.