Do you have to be good at math in order to major in Computer science?

I'm not exaclty the best at math, so I was wondering if being good at math is essential for it.

Favorite Answer

Math skill will definitely help, but is not required.

But (in my opinion) what is more importantly than being good at math is learning to be interested by it. I used to dislike math, but I knew it was important to get a good job, so I worked hard at it. Eventually, I had some good teachers who taught because they love math. 100 years ago we didn't have computer science. 100 years from now we might not have it But there have been many countless applications of math for more than 100 years in the past, and there will likely be many more countless applications of math 100 years in the future. There are many interesting applications of many fields of math. Part of what made me begin to enjoy math was watching YouTube channels like numberphile and conputerphile.

One major predictor of how successful of a job a kid will have, I have heard, is how well they do in algebra in school.

If you enjoy math (the subject, though not necessarily the class), then it's easier to learn it better.

Source(s): Blessed enough to go to school

It's much easier with a good handle on math.

CS uses base 2, 8, 16, 64 and octets. There's IP addressing, subnets, etc.

Image window sizing, and resizing.

Matrices (tables)

Financial math

Accounting math

and much much more

Advanced math is not necessary to get a degree in computer science but logic is and Math is required to get the degree.

Go to a library and take the Vocational Aptitude Test It will tell you what fields you are best suited to get a degree in.

• Vaman

If you are below the age of 20 then do not worry about it.If you are above 20, you do not worry because the chances of becoming the good mathematician is very small. Do no worry. You can do fantastic things without mathematics. For computer science, average mathematical skill and strong logical analysis are essential. There is no harm in trying.

The type of reasoning you find in math is very similar to the type used in computer science. Being good in math is an important indicator of one's ability to deal with computer science.

At some extent yes. Especially if you're willing to understand the deep structures and mechanisms of computers,

there's alot to cover up . For instance, linear algebra , differential integrals , nonlinear differential equations, probability theory , are undoubtedly one of the most important fields when studying CS.

At most universities, the basic computer science degree is a bachelor of science degree. That means you'll take two years of lower-division calculus + linear algebra required for any BS degree. Computer science will usually require courses in discrete mathematics, analysis of algorithms course and maybe others require for the computer science major. In addition, a BS requires a year of a laboratory science (usually physics or chemistry), and computer science will usually require courses in analysis of algorithms, theory of computation, data structures, and maybe others that require applying mathematics.

So, yes; you do need to be good enough at math for all that. You don't have to be math-major material in order to pass all of that, but you do need to not suck at it.

• Dixon

You don't have to be but in my experience they tend to correlate fairly closely, so if you struggle with mathematics it isn't a good sign.

Does the word science use math?

Nothing at all other than the basic operations. It is disappointing for me cause I know all kinds of advanced physics math and wont ever get to use any of it

No but you must be good at geography