Matt asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

What is the origin and meaning of S in class or rank-S?

Do NOT speculate. Do NOT guess. If you dont know then stay silent. I ve searched the internet for over an hour an have only come to the fact that it is Japanese in origin. If you do not have knowledge of the Japanese language and reputable sources to site, then shut up. I just wanted a simple answer but with millions of dipsh!ts out there guessing it s just causing me unneeded frustration. S-class etc is becoming more and more prevalent in games and anime so I just want to understand where it comes from. I swear I m about to have an aneurism. I know it s not that big of a deal, but I like learning so when I spend a great deal of time trying to learn one thing and all I see is idiots being like "I think it stands for sUpEr" I want to go f@@king postal. Hhhhhhhhhhhh

S is for S. Hithead. You of all people should know that.

S stands for "shuu" (秀), which is Japanese for "excellent".

It comes from the usual Japanese grading. Just as we have A+, A, B, etc., they have their own system which is the same as ours except that instead of A+ they write "S".

It means "splenderific"

• susan

Matt, can't you see that the extreme rudeness and apparent frustration in your words here are like a siren call to trolls? Their only motivation is the wish to get a reaction.

From my point of vew, it doesn't com from Japan - but maybe the Japanese gaming industry has adapted it.

Unless you have evidence that the Japanese used it earlier than 1972, I maintain that the word originated with Mercedes Benz cars, who started to call their top-of-the-line vehicles "S-Klasse" (from Sonderklasse, "special class") in 1972.

• Matt6 months agoReport

I'll try to do more digging, because I see many people talking about how the S rank is used in the Japanese school system?(dont know if that is actually true though) but AT LAST. You have graced me with an intelligent answer so I commend you sir.