I was in a traffic accident involving a Sheriff, and given citation for “Unsafe Maneuver & Speed” by Deputy that didn’t witness the it.?

I was going 30-35 down a 35mph 2 lane street. I’m in the left lane and Camry in right. All of a sudden car cuts me off without signaling because there a Sheriff stopped on the right shoulder in his lane. My only option was to go right. Now, I was unaware that the sheriff was there because no lights were on except parking lights. So by the time the Camry cleared and I saw who I was about to hit, it was too late. Yup the Camry didn’t stop. He made a u turn and laughed. I checked the officer he said he’s ok just a little shaken up. We both declined medical attention at the scene. About 8-10 units showed up in less than a minute. After everything was situated, I was given a ticket by a deputy who wasn’t even there to witness it. I plan on fighting this. Opinions?

Consult auto accident attorney here

If you were in the left lane of a 2 lane street, you are in the oncoming traffic lane. Going right wasn't only NOT your only choice, it was the WORST POSSIBLE choice. Taking your word for what actually happened, you are LUCKY you got off with ONLY the citation you received.

About 8-10 units showed up in less than a minute.

OK, now I KNOW you are FLAT OUT LYING. Even if the ENTIRE department responded, 8 units COULDN'T arrive in the same minute.

• Bruce

You are still required to keep your car under control, even if someone else does something illegal. There is no legal requirement for the officer to witness the violation, he only needs evidence the violation happened. Two damaged cars would be plenty of evidence.

Nothing you mentioned is a valid defense. You should ask the court clerk if they offer any diversionary programs such as community service or traffic school to keep it off your record.

• new_bumble_bee

I would offer a similar answer basically with some more touch ups

You rear-ended a parked car with it's hazard lights on? Pay the ticket.

• livin5 months agoReport

Well...I rear ended the parked sheriff SUV. He was on the right shoulder. Like he just finished giving someone a ticket. He had no red/blue lights flashing. Just had his parking lights on

@ STEVEN F It is a really good policy.

@ Bruce I am a retired Louisiana police officer. All of the agencies in SE Louisiana have that as a policy, and it is a good policy. Where are/were you police officer?

You need an attorney.

Every USA law enforcement agency I know about has a policy of not issuing "at fault" tickets in accidents involving a government vehicle (any government vehicle).

• STEVEN F

I DO NOT believe you were EVER in law enforcement because that would be a PATENTLY ABSURD policy. It sounds like 'every law enforcement agency' you know is in a VIDEO game, because they most certainly are not in real life.