Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

My friend’s dog has been limping for 2 weeks?

I’m house sitting for a friend who is out of the country for another month. Her dog has been limping for 2 weeks. I came home one day and she was limping. It seemed to get better but she still is limping. When i touch it or examine it she doesn’t seem to be in any pain and I can’t find anything visibly wrong. The dog’s owner says not to take her to the vet, what should I do?

• J C

This is a sticky situation. If the dog is not yours the vet may or may not treat the dog. And you of course are going to have to pay for it. It's not going to be cheap, as it will be the cost of the vet visit plus x-rays, and then any type of medications. Keep after the owners, and ask them to phone the vet with permission to treat and to give them their credit card number. Be firm, and ask them why they want their dog to suffer like that.

Take her to your vet then, and argue about the bill later. If these owners won't be back for another month, what else can you do other than NO EXERCISE which frankly would be cruel.

I just checked your other question as linked here. Is any of this true?

You asked this a couple of weeks ago and I told you that she should go to the vets. No owner should ever leave a dog with someone without making arrangements about veterinary possibilities.

If this is a back leg and it turns out to be the cruciate ligament you will do untold damage to the joint / meniscus and it will cost her a lot more.

Whatever happens keep this dog from running about and playing

ADD...just looked up your other question and it is the hind leg and you asked this 5 days ago and the dog had already been limping for a week..

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

• patty

why are people so cheap with their pets. maybe she has arthritis-how old is she