Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 6 months ago

Car titles and buying vehicles?

I found a car I wanted on Facebook. I know its more complicated than handing the guy the cash and driving away. Does he need to hang me the title that has his name on it or?

If he can't put a clean title right into your hand walk away. All the "I'll mail it to you next week" will be lies.

I did not answer because I assumed you were the same guy who was looking for $2000 car loans.

Figured by the time you save $2000, you will have forgotten the answers.

• g

He damn well better hand you the signed over title in your name, skippy, if it is to be a legal sale. The seller needs to create a bill of sale as well.

If the signed over title and bill of sale you will then have the ability to transfer title into your name at your area DMV offices.

Yes, it needs to have the seller's name on it. Not the person he bought it from.

1] The VIN number on the title must match the VIN number on the vehicle

2] The sellers correct name must be on the title. Be sure to see their identification. If the seller isn't the person shown on the title then walk away

3] Read the title to be sure it has been filled out correctly. In some states the title must be notarized.

4] Be sure no lien holders are listed on the title

5] Insist on a signed bill of sale too

• JetDoc

Ask your mommy. Maybe SHE knows.

You always check the VIN to make sure the title VIN matches the car VIN and that there is not a lien on the front of the title. Then the seller makes you sign and date the title and they sign it and give you the title when you pay for the vehicle. Make sure to get a written receipt from the seller with the vehicle VIN, year, make and model on it so you have proof of what you paid for it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech