Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 12 months ago

Why do I occasionally see trains traveling in reverse?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

You may have eye problem. Get to a doctor.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 12 months ago

Turntable and a Y siding could be used to turn around an engine. Sometimes they are not available or takes too much time to use one.

• 12 months ago

Trains can't turn around except at special junctions, so if they need to go in a different direction, they just back up.

• F
    Lv 6
    12 months ago

Ever seen a train do a 3 point turn?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

While I see it I never thought much about it until now. My guess is that there is a long train and it has many cars and only one rail line. Train locomotives can move in either direction however not every branch of the rail line has a large shunting yard so easier to connect the rail cars in groups ...for the front locomotive that is taking so many rail cars to a major city and there are smaller groups of rail cars that are heading part way there but then to an alternate city. Sometimes I see 3 Loco's running in reverse. at the tail end. When they get to a destination the main train stops on the main line and the rear loco's separate and the one nearest to the rear freight cars takes its selection of cars which can be disconnected at any coupling....so it takes its group of cars and switches off onto another line heading off to a short line branch to that towns smaller rail yard... and the other Loco's reconnect to the main train that is now shorter until another SHORT LINE (just like on the game Monopoly) branch is reached and again the same step is repeated until there is no more rearward traveling Loco's. Meaning all the freight is bound for the final destination city. This way one rail line can be used. So a lot of planning goes into the connecting of the cars in their groups. It really does not matter to the Diesel trains which way the Loco is running. Additional loco's are used for going over mountain terrain as some are very long trains, so; much weight is moving on the tracks.

. Loco's are put at either end and sometimes in the middle because of how the rail line connects or how the shunting yard is set up. They already KNOW how the yard is set up, that is not something that will change. So the INSANITY IS PLANNED IN ADVANCE.

There is a game you can play online for free ...it is called Shunty Train. You learn how to shunt trains so they are correct in order to where they are to go. Each yard is harder than the last. A kids game that is like a puzzle.

///

That is my guess and I used to have a train set. Unfortunately my way of playing Train was a SMASH THEM UP LOCOMOTIVE vs Locomotive until one fell off a bridge to its death and destruction.

• 12 months ago

It's not that easy to turn a train around, so, unlike a car, they are specifically DESIGNED to run in either direction.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Because that's the direction they want to go.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

They are diesel electric 3 phase motors and can go the same speed in both forward and reverse directions on the rail motor traction trucks, the forward orientation is only important when climbing hills and needing the use of the rail sand blasters for extra traction because they will only work in nose front mode orientation. The active and pneumatic braking can work equally in both directions the same as the 3 phase electrical traction motors.

The rail sand blasters blow a fine sand onto the track through a sand blaster pipe under the wheels to gain traction between the steel wheels and rail, like adding some sand paper to increase the power transfer slip on the locomotive wheels. The sand is carried in two hoppers on the side of the engine that look like the fuel tanks but they are actually full of a fine white grained sand box sand.

When in tandem mode, the engines behind the front are in slave mode and controlled by the front engine.

• Road warrior
      Lv 4
      12 months agoReport

Some locomotives still in daily use are steamers. Many are fully electric (in Japan, Europe) Diesel-Electrics can turn the motors into generators, the back EMF helps braking.

• 12 months ago

Your brain is just tricking you by not coordinating with your eyes

• 12 months ago

Because a train has 2 fronts. If it has a front and a rear, it would take up a lot of track and space for the train to turn around. By having 2 fronts, when the train gets to its destination, the conductor just walks to the other end and he’s ready to go.

If you played the Simpsons tapped out, you can build a monorail, which is a train that’s been elevated. Anyway, if you build a track that goes from one end to the other, the train will go to the end then reverse itself but the train has 2 fronts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.