Vintage camcorder Restoration Problems?

Hi, I need help trying to fix a problem with a vintage camcoder I have. It has this weird pattern in the view finder and on everything it records (picture below). Its a 1988 Montgomery Wards model JMJ 10652. Does anybody know the problem?

Favorite Answer

Almost the first thing to routinely replace when dealing with electronics that old are every single electrolytic capacitor you can find.

They dry out with age and cause all kinds of odd faults, and you can't really start diagnosing anything much else until you know that those are all good.

Whilst doing that keep on the look out for dried/cracked solder joints: they don't really "dry out" as such, but the solder can slowly recrystallise over time into a brittle form which can shrink and crack.

• Robsteriark

John P: I generally agree. But that wasn’t the question. It’s also a valuable learning experience before tackling repairs on genuinely valuable items. Even if the repair fails the asker may be able to work out why and that teaches diagnostic skills. Yahoo! Answers, not Yahoo! Why Bother?