Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Can you apply for med school with a degree in architecture?

So it may sound crazy. I’m gonna be a prospective international student in Australia. Now the issue is that I have applied for Bachelor of Design with a major in Architecture and got into two universities. Weird but ive always been confused whether I should go for design or med school. There’s no way I can ask my parents if I can change my major. The only way I can pursue Med. is after my undergrad degree. Ive asked a few people and came to know that Med schools in Australia do accept candidates with degrees in different areas with a good score in GAMSAT. I’ve had Physics, Chemistry, English and Mathematics as my subjects in High school. Is there any way I can go for Med school??

• Lili

Yes, your major doesn't matter, BUT you must have completed all of the undergraduate prerequisite classes -- called pre-med courses in the US -- before you apply. High school classes are not acceptable.

Plenty of people do this. I know doctors who majored in Poli Sci, Art History, and English. You just use your electives and distributional requirements to do it. It's not difficult in the US, but the structure of undergraduate education in Australia may make this impossible. You will have to inquire.

If you cannot take the necessary classes as an undergraduate in Australia, there are post-baccalaureate pre-med programs in the US that are specifically for people who want to go to med school but were unable to take the pre-med classes as undergraduates. I know of a good one -- a very intense one-year program -- at Bryn Mawr College near Philadelphia.

• Squid

Yes, you can go to med school. The entrance requirements to not specify any undergrad major, but there are specific course requirements. You'll need to take the required courses as electives or as a minor.

You must fulfill ALL prerequisite courses at the undergraduate level (not high school) for admission to medical school. Some of these will include biology, chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, biochemistry, anatomy & physiology, etc. There are additional requirements. With an architecture degree, it is extremely unlikely you have all of the science & math prerequisites to qualify to apply for admission to any medical school.

• Lili

In fact, plenty of people major in a non-science and take the pre-med classes. It's not that unusual, and it's not that difficult in the US, owing to the 4-year degree time and the structure of US tertiary education, which comprises distributional requirements and electives.

You can apply, but typically you need to have majored in a related field. Good luck.