Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Is it normal to feel this way towards my mother?

Basically I always have thoughts of wanting to strangle or murder my mother. She always gets on my case; whether I'm cleaning the house, on my phone, doing laundry etc... especially when I'm on my computer playing games because she doesn't want me playing for too long. (which I understand but thats how I can cope with not actually wanting to kill her) It's becoming too much for me now and she keeps adding so much stress to myself that I literally have to take pills to control my stress levels right now (which is a 4.3 and I'm only 17). I already have 4 jobs because I'm trying to move out as soon as possible to not deal with her bull crap but she keeps leeching off my own money when she has way more than me. She chooses to waste it on useless products that go out within a 2-3 days all the damn time. I really WOULD NOT mind dealing with the consequences that would arise from murdering her but she is my mother and all and I want to avoid doing anything to her before I lose my gosh dang mind.

• Foofa

Yeah, at your age it's fairly normal to lack perspective and to think you're capable of making all your own decisions (you're not BTW). Medical science can't do much about 'chip-on-shoulder/sense-of-entitlement- itis', but it can help with rage disorders and impulse control problems like the ones you're suggesting (and also apparently some prescription drug abuse). So tell mom to get you in to see a child psychologist so you can operate like a normal person when you do finally leave your family home.

rnaybe you should rnove out and be thankful you have your rnorn around, wish i did

Since you have homicidal thoughts, I would have to say this is not normal, although your complaints sound legitimate. You cannot make independent decisions to move or other things until you are eighteen, so unless your parent is willing to go along with it, you are stuck for yet another year. If you are in school, talk to your school counselor; if not, please seek counseling on a sliding fee scale basis in your community...you can find resources either through your medical insurance or the reference section of your local library. You must find a way to relieve your stress and to avoid further thoughts of violence before something irreversible and tragic occurs. Ask your parent(s) for counseling, as well. Good luck,

yes...............

Definitely not normal, but not gonna lie, I can relate to your sentiments. You already realize killing her isn't an option--she is your mother, and that kind of baggage would likely stress you out even more, and even if she makes prison seem more appealing than being around her, I can assure you that it's an absolute hell hole. I would recommend making more attempts to be vocal and communicative with her in a respectful manner. Obviously don't tell her you think about killing her, but just explain that you're trying your best, and her behavior is really stressing you out. Also explain that it upsets you that she takes so much of your money for frivolous products, when you're working very hard for that money and want to save it up for your own future. Beyond that, if things don't improve, just work on maintaining your calm and patience, take a lot of time to yourself when you can, to mentally relax, and realize that you're 17, you've already made it so far, and once you're an adult, you're free. If its an option, I would also recommend seeing a counselor about your emotional distress, school counselors are free and obligated to keep confidentiality, unless they feel you're putting yourself or someone else at risk, so as long as you just explain that your mother is stressing you out to the point that you want to be rid of her--and not explicitly verbalizing any plans at murder, it would help you a lot lol. And if you aren't comfortable with that, even finding a good friend or friends to vent to, can make a world of a difference. Hang in there and don't forget to breathe.

Source(s): personal experience/similar circumstances