keith asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 6 months ago

How do you use Compact Flash? I am used to SD card?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Make sure the CF card is not damaged or defective.

Insert it correctly.

If it doesn't fit don't force it. There may be hollow CF to SD adapters but I'm not sure.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

What the others said and make sure you don t brake a pin.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The exact same way you'd use an SD card except you'd insert the CF card into a CF slot. Other than size and a different slot, there's zero difference.

• ...Show all comments
    • John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Best in using any card is to use a cable from camera to computer to transfer. Transferring by taking the card out of the camera each time does sometimes lead to damage.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

So you know how to use an SD card. It's exactly the same with the CF card. No brainer. You just plug and shoot. If it's new, format first.

Warning. The CF slot can be difficult to insert to at times. Look at the CF card's sides. It has grooves on both left and right sides. One groove is thicker than the other. It coincides with the rails in the CF card slot so if it doesn't go in easily, don't force. You might break the pins.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

As said in the other answer, you push the button to eject the card. Always be slow and careful when inserting the card into the camera. There are LOTS of tiny pins in the card receiving slot that have to match up and go into the tiny holes in the CF card. I have had many cameras that use CF cards and have never had a problem with a bent pin, but it can and does happen.

No computers that I know of ever came equipped with a built in CF card reader. You will probably have to get a card reader for CF. These are not as prevalent as they used to be, but certainly still available. Expect it to cost more than the far more common SD card reader. The CF card will likely eventually be fully obsolete, but there are still some new cameras made that use them, my Canon 5DSR being one of them.

• 6 months ago

The main difference is that a CF card is ejected with a button next to it instead of the push-in-push-out thing. They're the same stuff and should be handled the same way -- wait until the device is done saving before ejecting the card.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.