Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 5 months ago

Does anyone care about Tour De France anymore?

I don't know about anybody else, but I like watching, if there's nothing better to watch!! I enjoy the scenery.

I’m not sure. There are probably some who do. It is a tough competition.

This year is more interesting than most because it could be the end of the team Sky/Ineos dominance - they no longer control the race in the way they have done in recent years.

• Ted K

It's a great Tour this year.

Yes. Millions do, world wide.

There are lots of people who do even though a lot of people have lost interest due to the doping scandals.

• Ted K

It's just the way Americans are--cycling is just not "Murican." If doping was really a thing, then nobody would have interest in football, baseball & basketball, either, because doping in those sports has been just as rampant, just less publicized. People just use doping as an excuse

Every day, for the three weeks of the Tour, hundreds of thousands of people line up along the roads being used by the riders. Many cyclists plan vacations around being able to see a stage of the Tour. As well, people from all over the world who cannot be there in person watch the race on television and read descriptions written by cycling journalists. There are millions of people all over the world who are interested in the Tour.

Personally, I'd rather go watch a local 'Crit Race' - criterium races - https://usacrits.com/about/what-is-a-criterium/ Mostly local riders on an enclosed circuit passing by many, many times. With the TDF, you get one shot at seeing the riders. Once they're gone - they're gone - out of sight.

• Ted K

Wait--first there's this thing called a computer...and another thing called the internet. Imagine that--you can go watch a local crit then come home, kick off your Birkenstocks and watch the Tour as well.

Like any sporting event audience size fluctuates from year to year. Promotion is key to getting large audiences.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder and Builder.

More than I care about women's soccer, that's for sure.

No, numbers are down every year , and those that attend are there just to do stunts like the guy riding over the top of the race itself. Now that was funny. Also some riders have mysteriously not turned up eg Chris Froome (likely drug issue - scared his results would show up , so I believe he didn't join tour). Haven't seen Lance Armstrong or Jan Ulrich lately, where are they?

• Ted K

You idiot. Froome crashed in early June, broke a leg, an elbow and several ribs. He was in intensive care and is now recovering. No way could ANYONE start the Tour less than three weeks after an accident like that. And Armstrong & Ulrich are long since retired--they're both pushing 50.