approved day off before being hired?

I just got hired at a new job. During my interview I was asked the usual question if there were any days I needed off. I had 1 day I needed, I was told ok, no problem.

I had an official start date, but I was able to start working before that date, so was being paid a daily rate vs my salary pay. Come to find out they told me I didnt have any personal days accrued yet so they took one of my daily rate pay, didnt pay me for it and said it was going to make-up for the day I had gotten pre approved for at my interview.

This is a state job, I have never worked for the state, so not sure how this works..just it was never mentioned to me at my interview and it is 200.00 I am losing because of it...

Does this sound correct?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

yes at my old employer we got paid regardless if we took a sick day or called out. you were given a certain amount of days in a certain time period before you got a write up. I still would get paid without time accrued.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

no, not unless they're paying you for your day off.

• 4 months ago

Yes. You are confusing getting permissions to miss a day of work and getting paid for a day you don't work. Any job (government or corporate) will have some policy about how you earn PTO. If you haven't earn the PTO, you won't get paid for a day you don't work.

• 4 months ago

Did you expect to be paid for that day off?? If you haven't accrued any PTO...you don't get any Paid Time Off.

They are still letting you take the day...right?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Why would you be paid for not working when you have not accrued any holiday days?

• 4 months ago

i did not quite comprehend - did u expect to be PAID when u took a personal day off? really? dear god

• Brittany3 months agoReport

My old employer did pay me regardless if there was a day I called off because i was salary.

• 4 months ago

Yes. It is perfectly correct.

• 4 months ago

Yes.

You didn't work that day and don't have time accrued yet for PTO so you wouldn't get paid for that day.

The only exception to this is if you are working for a private employer, in California were salary is by the week not the day. So if you worked a part of a week, you would get the whole week of pay.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.