Water emerges from a faucet at a speed of 0.7 m/s. After falling a short distance, its speed increases to 4.899999999995 m/s as a result of?

(a) By what number would you multiply the original cross sectional area of the stream to find the area at the lower position?

**The answer is not a number value but "Two words" that I can t figure out.

Update:

Water emerges from a faucet at a speed of 0.7 m/s. After falling a short distance, its speed increases to 4.8999999999999995 m/s as a result of gravitational acceleration.

(a) By what number would you multiply the original cross sectional area of the stream to find the area at the lower position?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I checked the water flow from my kitchen faucet. The diameter of the stream of water flow does decrease as it falls. Then it breaks into droplets. Both effects depend on the forces between the molecules, cohesion and surface tension. The factor of 1/7 suggested by others assumes continuity of flow. Actually, if the faucet is restricting the flow rate, the cross section of the stream just below the faucet is much smaller than that of the opening.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

repeating an unintelligible question won't help.

the speed increases because of gravity, and reaches a maximum ("terminal velocity") because the friction is proportional to the square of the speed

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

two words: one seventh

• 6 months ago

1/7

the speed is 7 times greater so the area is 1/7 ( 7 times less).

This presupposes that there is an incompressible fluid ( water) in a confined pipe.

The number of significant figures are absurd.

You should have said the speed has increased from 0.7 m/s to 5 m/s

They both contain a similar number of significant figures.

Perhaps it would have been better to have given the original speed a 0.70 m/s and the final speed as 4.9 m/s giving the exact multiple of 7

But by rounding off I gave you the same fraction anyway as being the closest reasonable fraction to the information provided.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

With that many digits, you would have to consider effects of general relativity. It's ridiculous to say that the speed starts at 0.7 m/s -- just one digit -- and then say the later speed is 4.899999999995 m/s -- 13 digits.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.