Upgrading cell phone/switching carriers - input/suggestions/advice!?

I'm finally going to update my cell phone and get a better one. Mine is making some pretty questionable noises at this point, so I think it's time lol I do have some questions - 1. I want to keep the old phone as a back up. I also want to do my own transferring. I want to move all my own pics/videos and... show more I'm finally going to update my cell phone and get a better one. Mine is making some pretty questionable noises at this point, so I think it's time lol I do have some questions -

1. I want to keep the old phone as a back up. I also want to do my own transferring. I want to move all my own pics/videos and stuff like that. It'll be something I can do piece by piece between work because I have some I'm going to move to my new phone, then others I want to just add to my computer.

2. I do have some special texts I'd like to save/keep. Is there a way I can transfer them (with the correct date) to my computer and then save them to a memory card like you can pics? The old phone is an Android. I don't want ALL the texts I want to save on my new phone, but I do want to keep them (they're from a friend that's no longer with me). I'd like to just transfer them from my phone to my computer.

3. Can I still keep my old phone number? How will that work if I keep my old phone too? I want to receive texts/calls on my new phone obviously. Can they just deactivate the old phone WITHOUT removing my data/pics/messages and then activate the new one? Can I still turn on/transfer stuff from the old phone then?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I just don't want to lose my stuff.
0