doctor asked in PetsFish · 5 months ago

I have 4 rc fiberglass gliders all of which only fly fast with forward cg and ballast? My aero books say thats wrong? Aft cg?

Update:

Its a science question they are drones not hobbies I use them for weather research.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill
    Lv 4
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The C/G sounds about right, as long as forward flight has no stalling or diving.

If you think the C/G should be aft, begin by slightly moving contents or adding weight aft. As long as there isn't any stalling you should be OK. C/G is usually in the 28% to 33% range of the mean aerodynamic chord behind the center leading edge. Look at the plans, what C/G is called for?

Much, but not all, of the rules that apply to full size aircraft apply to our smaller ones. Don't take text as gospel.

Getting the C/G right will benefit you with longer flight times and be easier to control. There is a saying to keep in mind, "An aircraft with a too far forward center of gravity flies poorly, one with a too far aft C/G flies once."

Source(s): Building and flying R/C since 1965
  • 5 months ago

Hmmm... that sounds normal - as a kid, my dad always put a paperclip on the front of a paper airplane - that forced the nose to drop, which increased speed, which increased lift, while at the same time the slight extra weight added to stability.

• 5 months ago

Two things are Independent of each other.

Glide speed increases with higher weight.

Induced drag is lower with an aft CG.

• 5 months ago

no no, always mid to forward cg and correspondingly ballast. Sometimes if you are using a frog or kitten as a test pilot you may have to put the ballast back a little but certainly not otherwise.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dick
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

RC are aircraft. Ask Burt Rutan,

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Maybe too much angle of attack.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

This question belongs in the HOBBIES AND CRAFTS SECTION!!! Is English not your first language?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.