is it ok for motorcycle batteries like (lead acid yuasa) leave it deeply discharged for a long period of time?

I have a shorai lithium battery on my motorcycle and it is deeply discharged and couldn't be recharged it anymore.

I heard that it is bad for lithium batteries to left it deeply discharged.

the reason why my batteries keep getting discharged is because of my JBL Cruise speaker system on my bike it keeps discharging the batteries.

but I don't want to take the speakers off.

Favorite Answer

Fit an isolator switch to cut the power from your battery to your JBL speaker. Leaving any battery deeply discharged for a long period will kill it.

• Road warrior

Don't wanna argue with you Di I like you But I've been electronics tech 40 years. Speakers are passive , no load unless amp is on. Neutral and and clutch safety switches on yore 'bikes use isolator diodes.

You mention a Yuasa Pb-acid; then a Shoral Li-Ion. Wich are you inquiring about?

I know from experience a new Yuasa Pb-Acid, if simply left to go dead, will actually come back after 3y/10mo. But, this is exceptional. I would not expect a Li-Ion or any battery for that matter to be any good if a constant drain on it.

Get an isolator diode so the sound system only draws from alternator or a switch like Lady Di says.

Source(s): Diode: Find stereo's total WPC rating, multiply times # of channels; divide by 12.6, multiply by 1.5. Use that forward current-rated Shottkey diode rated for 50 PIV. (EBay) Remove the stereo and reg/rect hot wires from battery, attach them together thru suitable fuses to the Unbanded end of diode. Banded end to battery.
    • Road warrior

I have had marginal success with constant current charging bringing old sulfated batteries back to usefulness. Desulfators and compounds dont work.

The speaker system is the problem. Leaving the batteries dead for extended periods turns them to worthless trash. Lithium batteries like to have some charge to stay healthy- Not always left with full charge when not being used for long periods of time, or allowed to go fully flat. You choose the speakers over a usable vehicle. That makes little sense.

Shorai's have a 5 year warranty. You can send a discharged Shorai to Shorai in California and they will try to revive it with a programmable charger. Worked for me. But then I still had the receipt and could show it was still under warranty. You don't give us the purchase date. Too bad... Shorai's are expensive. Care and feeding a Shorai: allsyagottado is check the resting voltage every few months and charge 'er on up with a Deltran lithium battery charger as needed. EZ peazy. Hint: the two (2) DMM probes go on the two (2) battery posts. Hint: learn how to wire accessories with a 12v relay, a connector, or a switch. Like wow, dude.

Source(s): Electronics 0.00000000001

No, it will be dead forever. Batteries don't like to be flat for long periods