Lv 4
asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 months ago

what was soooo special about "The Silk Road" and finding a way East to get "silks and spices""?

or help me understand what was so special about "Silks and spices"? how many wars, and fighting have been over this city Constantinople /Istanbul as well as Middle Eastern parts of world for what? silks and spices? help me understand please!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Trade in general. Merchants in the west wanted new markets to sell their goods into and early exploration revealed not only that there were distant markets to sell to, those distant places had things they didn't have, had never seen before, and when they got a taste of them, they wanted some. The west had more technology (though still primitive by modern standards) and made things that couldn't me made (yet) in the east.

Trade. Making money. Everybody does, always has, always will. And when money is involved and different cultures and religions clash with one another, there can be wars. Always has been, probably always will be.

And the first trade routes ran right through those places you mentioned.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They were a big commodity.

It does not MATTER why they were popular, people wanted them and were willing to pay. The cheaper you got them the bigger your profit in selling them.

I mean, explain Fidget SPinners to me, will you?

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The Silk Road was not a single road but a network of trade routes which connected the East and West, and was central to the economic, cultural, political, and religious interactions between these regions from the 2nd century BCE to the 18th century. Although the Silk Road primarily refers to the terrestrial routes connecting East Asia and Southeast Asia with South Asia, Persia, the Arabian Peninsula, East Africa and Southern Europe it also included maritime routes. When something is hard to get and desired then it becomes valuable. So Roman glass would be a valuable status symbol in the Far East and black pepper from Southeast Asia would be a spice that only the very rich in Europe and the Middle East could afford.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

These were luxury goods and were very popular among the Ancient Greeks and Romans, though they did produce their own silks. The spice trade alone was worth the equivalent of billions in modern money. Many fabrics, particularly raw silk, was woven by Persian artisans thus increasing its value.

The Silk Road is much more famous, but there was also the Indian Ocean trade route which had ports on the Red Sea established by the Ptolemies in Egypt, and later expanded by the Romans. This trade route extended to Italy through ports on the Nile- particularly Alexandria. Roman ships often old coins to India, worth little in Rome but very valuable to India. The trade, in the course of its history from the 3rd c. B.C. to 5th century AD was worth trillions!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

if you want the FINE women of Europe, you better have them jewels , silks and spices ready

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.