How can I make a long distance move as stress-free as possible?

I have friends and family in my origin city to help me out . There are no friends or family however in the new city to which I am moving to help me , upon my arrival there. Specific questions : Should I secure an apartment first and sign a lease ? Or should I secure employment first? I am moving to a large... show more I have friends and family in my origin city to help me out . There are no friends or family however in the new city to which I am moving to help me , upon my arrival there.

Specific questions :

Should I secure an apartment first and sign a lease ?

Or should I secure employment first?

I am moving to a large major city where jobs are plentiful and I should have no problems finding work.

Also I would need to find both a place to live and a job at the same time.

Can you see how troublesome it would be to have a job , though no place to live?

Or vice versa . Have a place to live , but have no job and no means of paying rent and utilities?

Another Question : At what point should I transport my furniture and house hold items over to the new city?

Or should I sell / get rid of my personal belongings and furnishings before I move , and then rebuy these things in the new city?

Also I do not own a vehicle and have no license . Again I am moving to a major city (Phoenix) So I was wondering if not having a vehicle will pose problems? I have visited Phoenix several times though and I think their bus / train system is very helpful for transportation.