Anonymous

How can I make a long distance move as stress-free as possible?

I have friends and family in my origin city to help me out . There are no friends or family however in the new city to which I am moving to help me , upon my arrival there.

Specific questions :

Should I secure an apartment first and sign a lease ?

Or should I secure employment first?

I am moving to a large major city where jobs are plentiful and I should have no problems finding work.

Also I would need to find both a place to live and a job at the same time.

Can you see how troublesome it would be to have a job , though no place to live?

Or vice versa . Have a place to live , but have no job and no means of paying rent and utilities?

Another Question : At what point should I transport my furniture and house hold items over to the new city?

Or should I sell / get rid of my personal belongings and furnishings before I move , and then rebuy these things in the new city?

Also I do not own a vehicle and have no license . Again I am moving to a major city (Phoenix) So I was wondering if not having a vehicle will pose problems? I have visited Phoenix several times though and I think their bus / train system is very helpful for transportation.

Get a quote from a removalist company now so that you can objectively compare between buy/sell and getting it moved. Even if you do buy/sell you will probably still have a lot of personal stuff that will need to be shipped – get them to quote for both, and for cost of storage per week while you look for a place. I’ve found kitchen stuff (pots, pans, plates, cups, cutlery, spices, etc) are not worth buying again (it’s surprising how much $ there is in a kitchen), and the more expensive electrical stuff is also not worth selling/buying (unless money is no object of course).

I’ve done both – moved to new city with a job, moved to new city without a job. It’s much easier to have a job organized before you move, even if it means a couple of trips now for interviews.

• Sam

Always have a job lined up first with the start date, you can then pick apartment online and look how close on map and all that stuff. Thats what I have always done.

Try to get the job first. Many places won't rent to a person who doesn't have a job.

It you are looking for an entry level position, you need to move there before you find a job.

If you have previous work experience, you may be able to find a job before you arrive.

Before you arrive, have either an extended stay motel booked or a room in an airbnb.

Plan to live there for 2 months, while you find a job and housing.

But you need money saved to cover 6 months, in case you don't find a job quickly.

Parts of Phoenix has good bus service and parts don't. Make sure that you housing is close to a main bus line.

good luck.

You're making a HUGE mistake.

• Kyle

start looking for jobs now in the area you're going to live. start filling out applications online. put in your resume your intent on moving to the area shortly. majority of times, first round interviews are done on the phone these days with a recruiter. so you can inform them you're moving to the area, but are starting the job search now to hopefully get a job when you do move.

are you looking for retail jobs, food service, or jobs with potential careers in sales, logistics, teaching, business, if you have engineering background, etc? you need to do your research on the job outlook for various industries and what they're looking for for education /or related experience.

unless you have some savings for an apartment, you need income first. then find an apartment, then move your furniture.

you can look at shipping companies and ask for quotes on what it would cost to transport your furniture and bigger items. but trying to sell it on ebay, craigslist, garage sale, however it may be can be just as challenging, and they may not even sell or for how much you would like.

depending on what job you want to do, if it's something career wise, companies may help with relocation assistance too if you have something in demand they're looking for, and you qualify for the benefit.

even if you dont have a driver's license, you should apply for at least a state ID. do it now before you move so you have some identification. then either transfer your info to your new state, or work on getting your license. some DMVs have their own vehicles for testing, assuming you can get the practice elsewhere.

until you get your own car if you still want one, research public transportation options. buses, trains, or taxi if you have to get around. look into just getting a bicycle if you don't mind riding outside if the places you need to be, school, work, whatever, are nearby.