Alex asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

How Can I Secretly Rent An Apartment?

I've been having trouble getting a part time job (19, going to be a sophomore in the fall at University) but I found out I can sell my plasma and make just enough to rent a place for the summer. (I'd go back to dorm life in the fall when the help of scholarships.) The issue is A. My mother (only parent, 64) doesn't want me to sell my plasma and b. She'll complain about little stuff and say if I don't like it I should move out. But when I mentioned"what if I got an apartment over the summer" (she stopped me before I told her what I was planning) she says no, and that it's too dangerous (we're from a small Southern town while uni is in the "big dangerous city" (same state though)) My bf has an apartment, and told me about how he had to get his sister's help in signing off as him being reliable or something, which I do have a sister (39), but as a mother herself I'm not sure if she'd be willing to keep it a secret I'm living in an apartment or what kind of lie I'd have to tell to do so without my mother being suspicious. I fight with the elders in my family a lot so I just want to get away from that, absence makes the heart grow fonder type of thing, I guess I'm hoping they'll like me more if I'm not there? What could I say to not draw suspicion if I go through with my sort-of plan? Is there something I should say to my sister to get her to help, she lives away from us so she doesn't know how things are but I was thinking of lying and saying I'm staying with her all summer?

• Foofa

By my calendar summer is already almost over and it would be kind of a waste to spend all that money just to have a place for a few weeks. You've obviously gotten through June and most of July without overpaying for some short term rental (which tend to be far more expensive than a 12 month lease). So I'd suggest you just live wherever you've been living until school starts and try to develop a thicker skin about these "elders".

By doing so in your dreams. To be taken seriously by a landlord as a tenant you need to prove you make 3 times the monthly rent, and selling your plasma just doesn't pay that well.

Edit: I apologize for being so flip. It's pretty clear you don't understand how renting an apartment works, nor understand how lying isn't the way of life you seem to think.

When you rent an apartment you need to show you make enough money to afford the rent plus all the other things you need to pay for like: food, taxes, insurance, utilities, entertainment, car/gas, etc. so the landlord often requires you to make a lot more than the amount of rent. In addition they tend to not rent for short periods because it takes too much work to prep for new tenants so often. A tenant also needs to have good credit and when you are first renting, you tend to not have any credit much less good credit. So, you need someone to guarantee the lease, often known as co-signing. Or at the very least have people who are well respected give you a reference to say you are a good person too. But if you are demanding people to lie for you, that doesn't make you a good person.

Scared of mommy huh? Oh well, it doesn't matter honey. Nobody wants your blood.

• Alex6 months agoReport

Do they buy blood? Bc I have that universal type, so far I only knew about plasma

at your age you dont need your rnorn's perrnission to do anything so just do what you want and if she dont like it thats her problern

At 17 I took on a full time job, couch surfed with fellow employees for 2 months and then had the money saved up to get an apartment with a co-worker who was legally of age to sign the rental agreement. How about you just get a full time job? Then you'll be making the money to aid yourself in whatever way you deem the most rewarding.

Just enter the apartment and say that you want it.

• g

You are not going to be able to cover basic living expenses selling plasma. The first thing a potential landlord will look for is an employer or means of support, if not an actual credit report/verification.

• g

Few landlord will lease for a short time. Have you considered renting in a rooming house or with a few roommates instead? You're still going to need a job but those would reduce your expenses.

• Lili

Summer's half over. Who's going to rent to you for just 6 weeks or so?

I smell a troll.

• Alex6 months agoReport

?? Okayy, I mean, I'm one of the top students in my state, and I was awarded due excelling amongst my fellow students but sure, give a quick question online a psychological examination, thnx for helping my question

• Brian

You are an Adult. You are free to do as you wish. If that is what you would like to do, then do it.