Faith asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 year ago

Is it disrespectful to sell dead people's stuff?

• 1 year ago

Disrespectful - to whom, exactly?

I sold most of my mother's belongings when she died, after my sisters and I had each chosen some things that had special meaning for us. My husband took eight bags of his father's clothes to two charity shops, and we're still gradually getting rid of his shoes.

• 1 year ago

No it’s not disrespectful

• 1 year ago

NO.It is done all the time.

1 year ago

i dont think so, its not like you can ask their perrnission to sell it

• not if you legally now own it... or are the legal representative of the deceased's estate.....

• 1 year ago

Disrespectful to whom? The dead person owns nothing, they are dead. If there is a will, the stuff is divided according to the will. The heirs can do as they like with the stuff it is theirs.

• 1 year ago

It's what we do with dead people's stuff. Half of what you find in thrift shops is dead people's stuff.

1 year ago

They can't use it anymore. But if it's very meaningful to them I think I might keep it if I can.

• 1 year ago

Only if it was supposed to have gone to someone else...or you know that another family member or close friend would want something sentimental. Even then, it's only disrespectful to the living person, not the dead one.

• 1 year ago

No. What are you going to do with it?