Faith asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 months ago

Is it disrespectful to sell dead people's stuff?

Disrespectful - to whom, exactly?

I sold most of my mother's belongings when she died, after my sisters and I had each chosen some things that had special meaning for us. My husband took eight bags of his father's clothes to two charity shops, and we're still gradually getting rid of his shoes.

No it’s not disrespectful

NO.It is done all the time.

i dont think so, its not like you can ask their perrnission to sell it

• Toby7 months agoReport

funny!

not if you legally now own it... or are the legal representative of the deceased's estate.....

Disrespectful to whom? The dead person owns nothing, they are dead. If there is a will, the stuff is divided according to the will. The heirs can do as they like with the stuff it is theirs.

It's what we do with dead people's stuff. Half of what you find in thrift shops is dead people's stuff.

• I had to buy a nice dress from a thrift store once, my friend had to buy a suit and while we're wearing them he says "these probably belonged to dead people" thanks for that.

• They can't use it anymore. But if it's very meaningful to them I think I might keep it if I can.

Only if it was supposed to have gone to someone else...or you know that another family member or close friend would want something sentimental. Even then, it's only disrespectful to the living person, not the dead one.

No. What are you going to do with it?

• John7 months agoReport

Bury it with them?