So really what is so great about traveling to Europe? (Besides the relaxation of being on a break from work, everyday life in USA)?

I can see ALL the things, all the historical sites, (and even better views, aerial views, etc) and go on "walks" on Youtube, through any city in the world now, that I want to see what it is ilike there, I can look up their recipes for their cooking online, and can research all the history , historical sites on Wikipedia at home. (on my "vacation" time from work)

so WHY SPEND $ 5- 10,000 DOLLARS TO GO FLY OVER TO EUROPE AND SPEND PHYSICAL ENERGY WALKING AROUND, GETTING LOST HAVING HATEFUL, COMPETTIVE, RUDE LOOKS AT YOU , ETC?

Favorite Answer

Yes, please stay home. With your attitude, we don't need you perpetuating the idea of the Ugly American. Don't travel- you might learn something. For example, you might get sick in another country and find out that doctors will come to your hotel room to treat you, and charge you very little because they have universal health care. You might find out how easy it is and how much fun, to get around on the Metro or the Underground or the Tokyo subway system. You certainly don't want to experience the pleasure of sitting outside eating at a Paris restaurant at 10:00 on a summer evening with perfect temperatures, no mosquitoes, eating ingredients you can't buy in the US. You definitely don't want to experience, as I did, the enjoyment of being on a boat in Switzerland when a group of hikers get on, get out a guitar and start singing folk songs as you travel between soaring, snow-covered mountains. I'm sure you wouldn't want to experience making friends with some wonderful people in Peru who take you to see things that aren't available on YouTube, or to find out from them what things were really like when the Shining Path was terrorizing the country. You might learn something- and that certainly seems to be something you don't want to do.

• John P

You just might, just might, get the idea that there are other parts of the world, and they get on just fine. Possibly even better than you get on in the USA.

• Orla C

If you don't want to spend that money coming over, then don't. It's that simple.

That's one less ugly American we have to contend with. Score for us!

Europe is beautiful, I’m from the UK and not fortunate enough to have enough money to travel more but will do once I have started my new job. Anyway I have been to France and Belgium, on a history trip with my school. Honestly they are so so so beautiful. I wish I could live in either countries. I’d definitely choose Europe over the UK.

• Toruko

There are places abroad where my reader will thank goodness for having a nose for it,

Ditto, if invited to pinch someone.

Do you prefer a video life, to being there?

• Lv 4

you can see things that people go through a lot of trouble and expense much better and easier for FREE online, while in your own home

You do not get to see into places you have to pay admission for because that is their income. Which is why you can not go into Disneyland or other such places virtually.I mean, climbing the Alps virtually does not have the same feel. I use Google Earth to travel the Earth. All the people are zapped out of the images...everywhere. You are missing a lot. Traveling to Europe is just as exciting as traveling to the U.S. places. Try traveling into the Smithsonian. You won't get in. or many other places(museums and historical sites) without paying admission.

• Lv 4

I bet you could find out which things are on display at these museums and look them up individually on either Wikipedia or Wikimedia or Google images, etc

Sometimes, being there in person is different than looking at a photo. If you don't feel that way, you're perfectly free to not go anywhere.

• Lv 4

FOR 5-10,000 $? REALLY? IT IS THAT DIFFERENT EH? I LIKE THE AERIAL (HELICOPTER) VIEWS THEY HAVE NOW OF EVERY LOCATION IN EUROPE!

• Jay P

If that's how you feel, stay in your local town/city/state.

Tonight I think you should watch Paris YouTube videos and tomorrow you can travel to Berlin all while enjoying the comforts of your own home.

• Lv 4

and it is FREE! I GET TO DRINK AND SMOKE AND EAT AND WHATEVER I WANT WHILE DOING IT TOO!

You are correct that > you < should just stay home, in whatever country is your home since I doubt it is the USA. .

• Brian

I have Travelled Europe. I have travelled to many places around the World. However, I always end right back from where I started. I go to say that I have been there.