asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

How most people would really feel if their neighbor not only bought the exact same model of vehicle as theirs, but same color too? why?

i think most would not like it? why? (does have something to do with ego/identity?) why cars so much?

Favorite Answer

Most people like to think that their car is unique although most are rational enough to know that it isn't. If your neighbor's is exactly the same you're reminded of that repeatedly. If I bought a new car I would find it a possibly a tiny bit annoying, but only that. Since I only buy used cars now it wouldn't bother me at all.

• Dick

I had a neighbor that always copied me. It was "keeping up with the Jones's" on steroids. The neighbors and I laughed and enjoyed it. I knew our local Rolls Royce dealer and went to high school with the Ferrari dealer. I started coming home with a series of cars that were obviously 'way above my level. He was a partner in a big accounting firm and quite well off. He was spending some SERIOUS money keeping up. When I started driving a new Rolls to work, he caught on. Or gave up.

I think they would feel great.

There's nothing wrong with it.

Cool.

I'd be flattered.

~

Meh, so many vehicle models anymore look a lot alike anyhow. And things like pickup trucks... those vary even less with fewer brands to choose from.

Something that's very specific like, say, a Jeep Wrangler, might seem a little odd, but if they like the same model and color among the presently available options, so be it. Why should they not go with what they like best just because the neighbor also has one. Would only be weird really if the neighbor already has a habit of buying the exact same thing. (And in that case it's probably an insecure person who doesn't trust their own choices and looked to you as a role model for that.)

But, it's a plus to driving an older-ish model Wrangler, you just can't get them new anymore.

• Bob

imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

about the same as if they had sex with my spouse