Which programming language should I learn next?

I already have a few years working experience with Python, Javascript and C++. I also have a pretty thorough knowledge of Java. I feel like PHP and Ruby (on Rails) are dying languages so I have decided not to study them any further. Which language(s) do you guys think will be big in 2020 and beyond?

• Andy T

Nobody should even try to predict stuff like these.

• John

I looked into that recently and found java is best.

learn

machine language

best

• EddieJ

I have learned to drive a Ford, Toyota and Hyundai. Which car model should I learn to drive next?

When you learn computer programming, you need to start with a programming language, just as you learn to drive in a car -- but you never say, "I learned to drive a Toyota." You might say that your FIRST car was Toyota, but you were learning to drive -- not learning to drive a particular model.

The analogy isn't perfect -- cars are designed to be similar -- to allow people to switch from one to another.

But all programming languages have loops and if statements and function calls.

And the languages you already know have shown you various ways those concepts are expressed.

So, don't bother learning another language until you need it. You should have confidence that you can look up the required syntax AS YOU NEED IT.

On the other hand, if you have nothing else to do, print out a list or programming languages and then throw a dart at it.

HOWEVER, you didn't list SQL. It's not quite a programming language. It's for manipulating and extracting data from relational database systems.

Since programs generally need data, you should learn about SQL, and how to use it from one of the programming languages that you already know (by passing SQL statements as character strings in function calls). SQL isn't going to go away anytime soon.

I think you should learn one language at a time and learn it good before moving to another one.

Nevertheless, Java, JavaScript (alongside HTML and CSS) and C++ and maybe C# are the "hot" languages right now and hopefully will still be in 2020 and beyond, languages which you already know (C# is like Java). SQL is also useful, for data managing. I don't think you really need to learn more languages if you're looking for a career.

And btw PHP is not dying. Even if it is, it will still exist due to legacy.

• .

Swift might be a good choice, since a lot of apps are made in that language.