promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 10 months ago

Can you grow coffee in the US?

I see coffees from all over the world where I buy it in a old fashioned coffee shop but none from America

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Why yes you can. However coffee plants only grow in tropical or subtropical climates. That leaves out most of North America. Another consideration is that the best coffee grows in volcanic soil. Most of the volcanic soil in North America is located in the northern portion.

Hawaii produces some of the best coffee in the world. Hawaii became part of the US in 1959. Hawaiian "Royal Kona" is highly sought after and is one of the more expensive varieties. There are also other Hawaiian varieties.

Puerto Rico also produces excellent coffee. Puerto Rico is a US territory. Most people have never had Puerto Rican coffee because little of it leaves the island. What does is scooped up by the gourmet coffee trade.

Two other US Territories also grow small amounts of coffee; American Samoa and Guam.

There have been experiments done in southern California to cultivate coffee there but the results are not good. There is no volcanic soil there and irrigation is always a problem in the less-than-ideal desert climate.

There are people who "home grow" coffee in subtropical states such as Florida, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. While the climate and soil conditions are not ideal, some report decent tasting coffee from their small productions.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Why do that if it´s available almost everywhere?

• Ann
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

The only state in which coffee is grown is Hawaii. That's because the soil and climate are ideal for its growth. There's nowhere in the continental U.S. that has those same conditions.

• james
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Only with Government price supports. Labor is to high in America to raise coffee with out them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Yes. Kona coffee comes from Hawaii and there is some grown in California.

• 10 months ago

No for the us mainland however coffee can be grown in Hawaii

• 10 months ago

I bought a banana & coffee plant for my home. They both died before they grew bananas or coffee beans, i don't have a green thumb.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

i dont see why you couldnt

• audrey
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

The correct weather conditions don't exist for the growing of coffee in North America.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.