Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

Is it illegal to write an erotic romance novel about you and your crush?

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

You can write it - no problem.

Would you want to let anyone else read it? Probably best not! Your crush would almost certainly be mortified or even angry if he recognised himself from what you wrote.

As for publishing it, even on the internet, Wattpad or whatever, as long as no-one could possibly recognise anyone in your story you might be okay. So you couldn't use anyone's real name, or a name which was close to the real one, (not even your own) and the place names and so on would also have to be fake.

But I really would recommend that you don't do this.

In a year or so you're going to look back on this and regret it.

You'll be SO embarrassed and ashamed by what you wrote! When novice writers and teens try to write something 'erotic' it always either sounds pornographic or hilarious.

I really do advise you to keep your erotic thoughts to yourself!

• Marli

Did you ask this question before, or was the asker someone else? I'm glad you picked Cogito's answer because I agree with her. It will be embarrassing to you and to your beloved when the crush is over, especially if people you know find out.

I suggest that you write the story for your own enjoyment. In a decade or so, you might want to relive the feeling of that crush when writing another novel, not so personal to your life, and there it will be for you to re-examine. Or you might marry your crush, and you'll have something to read to him after "the night of nights". Or you might have a daughter, and, one day, she will undergo the throes of a crush. It will be nice for both of you to understand that "Mom / I had been there."

• Mark

There was a student at the University of Michigan that did that years ago and there was a whole lot of legal trouble because he used her real name. And he didn't even publish it in the traditional sense, he posted it online.

If you name names, the person you're putting in the book can sue you for libel and win.

• Athena

Not yet.

However, if Elizabeth Warren wins the election it may be so I would get that puppy done now.

No, as long as it is anonymous and doesn't break local privacy, harassment or libel laws. Wattpad is full of novels like this.

Yes it is by many do it

You can write anything you want. Sharing or publishing it is a different matter. If you have already written something then your best option as far as protecting yourself is to show it to a lawyer and get professional advice about how to proceed to avoid civil and legal issues.