Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Is advanced college prep classes the same thing as honors classes?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No. If you mean AP or Advanced Placement vs Honors, then the difference is that Honors classes tend to be a little faster-paced than standard classes. AP classes are supposed to not only cover more material and be graded at a college level, they are geared to enable the students to be able to do well on a standardized national test for that class. If a student does well on that test, they can earn college credit for the class.

In many schools, AP classes get an extra GPA point (0-5 scale) but Honors classes are still on a 0-4 scale. You'd have to ask your guidance counselor about the policy at your high school.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

I think so. If it wasn’t honors they would just say college prep. Some say things like advanced, accelerated, or gifted instead of honors.

• 6 months ago

Different high schools have different terminologies.

In my experience, the academic levels are usually Remedial → College Prep (or standard curriculum) → Honors → Advanced Placement (AP) (or International Baccalaureate (IB)). In addition, there are vocational and technical classes that run separately from the academic curriculum.

I've not heard of "advanced college prep."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.