ed asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 6 months ago

If you live in Japan but aren't a Japanese citizen, can you get your driver's license there if you don't already have a driving license?

3 Answers

  • 6 months ago

    yes..but it really depends on what country you are from. If you are from the USA, its possible to get a Japanese license by just exchanging it ..BUT you must provide proof that you have been driving in the USA for over 6 months and you must exchange your license within the first year of living in Japan. The rules change every so often. I have no idea what the rules are for other countries.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

    Yes, but the only realistic way is to do it as the Japanese do - go to a Japanese driving school - which will normally cost over 300,000 yen.

    By far the easiest way is if you are from a country with a reciprocal license arrangement - you can get the Japanese license without most of the tests.


    • Login to reply the answers
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    sure, but you have to speak a language of the instructor and the examinator

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.