Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Should I babysit my siblings in exchange for free rent?

I'm 18 and heading off to college in the fall. My parents told me that I have two options. If I want to continue to live here, I will either have to babysit my siblings during their school hours and live here for free or I will have to get a job and pay them 2 hundred dollars monthly rent. If I babysit, I will have to schedule my classes in the evening.

• Foofa

If you're a night person maybe evening classes will work or you. But they don't work for everyone and some people lose their ability to concentrate late in the day into the evening. So think about that. Otherwise you should figure out how many hours you'd be babysitting vs. how many hours it would take you to earn $200 a month at a part time job. Then choose the thing that leaves you the most time to study.

• Z

I don't see any real question here, since you already know your options and also the easiest and most financially secure one.

There's no guarantee that any job you get will generate you $200 every month after expenses, you also don't know the condition or terms of the employment. Such as: will you get along with the people? how far will you need to commute? will most of what you manage to earn go away on transport costs and buying lunch? will you be able to get a night job? will the stress of the work or the night hours interfere with your ability to study?

But as for the babysitting job, it eliminates all these uncertainties. You already know how things will play out. All that you need to contend with is your pride which might prevent you from wanting to work for your parents and be dictated to by them.

Babysit your sibling

i dont see why not, then you wouldnt have to pay rent

Babysit. you're bonding with your siblings, getting free rent, and able to study all at the same time

Babysit. You will need time to study in college which is something you can do while babysitting, but can't do when working at a regular job.

• Steve

Yes. It sounds like a great deal. Babysitting your sibs is less stressful than most jobs, and will give you far more free time for your studies. You will need it. You can even study while babysitting. It’s perfect.

Effective study time management is key to success at college, particularly the first year. Be prepared for the challenge, to avoid choking.

• Jim

Get a job, move out, and never look back.