Why can I sometimes understand Spanish as if it was English?

So earlier I was watching Netflixaand the show was in Spanish (which I did not realize). I always have subtitles on but I was only half paying attention and wasn't reading them anyway. So something else distracted me and after awhile I resumed my show and I was confused that what I had been hearing was indeed... show more So earlier I was watching Netflixaand the show was in Spanish (which I did not realize). I always have subtitles on but I was only half paying attention and wasn't reading them anyway. So something else distracted me and after awhile I resumed my show and I was confused that what I had been hearing was indeed not English, but Spanish. I have been taking Spanish classes, but even with those I would only understand about 1/12 of what was being said and I heard English not Spanish. I can't find anything about this online and I really just want to know how/why I perfectly understood the Spanish as if it was spoken in my own tongue.