Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 6 months ago

Is a year end event a good time to buy a new car?

Many dealerships have year end events.

Usually not to be confused with the sales events they have during the holidays, where they have specials on all their new cars.

Im referring to the year end events thatmany dealership run starting from December 26th through New Years day.

During this period I always see these commercials on TV. Discounts on their remaining current year stock as they make room for their next model year stock.

I have an old beater and can now more than afford the payments on a new car.

I was thinking of getting one this summer, but suppose I wait until the year end events.

First thing in the morning the day after christmas, I go to a dealership advertising a year end event, while they still have a decent selection, and make a deal for one of their 2019 models.

The way i see it, as they are trying to make room for the 2020 lines, I can negotiate a lower price.

Most dealerships will haggle with you and you can negotiate it down below sticker price, but at the year end events the sticker price on a 2019 will be lower than it is today, and I can start my negotiations from a lower starting point.

And despite the discount, I'll still be getting a brand new car that will last just as long as if I got a 2020.

Is there any flaw in buying during year end events, or is it the best time to buy?

If you go shopping in bad weather just after Christmas, it is a good time because nobody else is buying cars and the salesmen are desparate.

End of finalcua year is a good time

Dealers have monthly, and yearly sales goals, so even though, as "The Real" says, the price starts out the same, it's a bit easier to get them to reduce it a little at that time. Of course, they resist, but in the end, you'll get a better deal if you're persistent.

• JetDoc

Most of these "year end events" are to get rid of last year's left over models after the new model year cars hit the showroom in September. If you don't mind buying a year-old car, you MAY save a few dollars, but you're not going to find any HUGE discounts.

If a 2020 depreciates a lot as it is driven off the lot, a 2019 depreciates just that much more. If you want to trade in your car in 3 years, the dealer will look at it at say it is really 4 years old. If you keep the car forever, it does not matter much. (but few people do). You will never find them losing money on the deal, but they may be quicker to get to the lowest that they will go.

Yes that's a good time of year to buy a car. Dealers are desperate because money for cars is scare at Xmas and the New Year. However you still need to beat them down. Never pay the sticker price. Search online for deals on the car you want and use that figure to negotiate. Be prepared to walk away and visit another dealership until you find the vulnerable one. Suddenly one will agree to match the price though desperation. Stay cool and ignore the sales spiel such as 'the deal is only today' or 'what is your budget'? I have saved thousands of £ buying my cars this way.

Most people don't notice this, but dealerships have sales every month. Manufacturers have big ad campaigns 4-6 times per year. "March Madness!!!", "Summer Sales Event!!!", "Year End Closeout!!!", etc. The reality is that the price remains the same. You might get a little bit more in regards to rebates, but that's it. "Prices are lower than they've ever been!!!". Yep, by one dollar. Now it's a true statement.

Please understand that dealers do not need to "make room for the new model". New model releases are staggered from January through December. Dealers don't just order 30 new cars, and then realize that they need to sell 30 cars by the end of the weekend. Allocations are determined months in advance, and numbers are figured by using many years worth of sales numbers and trends for that particular dealership.

You can wait until the end of the year. You might even save a few hundred more dollars, at the cost of selection. In addition, remember that your trade depreciates every day.

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.
  • martin

It's a good time to buy. Just tell them how you want to pay, and what numbers you're comfortable with dollar-wise. They should be able to make it happen for you.