How much power and authority should religious officials have in the affairs of the state?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Paul
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

The same as any other citizens. Why? Do you think they have more?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

None, but if we were as intelligent as we like to think, we would be electing honest, moral and ethical people to office.

• 6 months ago

Absolutely ZERO. Separation of Church and State. If religion wants a say in politics, then they should be taxed like everyone else. The Catholic Church alone can wipe out the national debt just from the taxes on their real estate holdings. They are the biggest owners of land on the planet. Yet they pay no taxes. What a scam that is.

• 6 months ago

Jesus set the perfect example of not involving himself in the political arena of his day. Knowing that the people were about to make him king "withdrew again into the mountain all alone" -- John chapter 6, verse 15. Another fine example, we can read at John chapter 18, verse 36 where Jesus was replying to a governmental official named Pilate before his death -- "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • barty
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

None, just as political officials should not have authority in the affairs of churches. Church and state should stay separate.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

They should have all the power necessary to STFU -

May their Skydaddy grant them that power but unfortunately their Skydaddy

wants them to spread the good news of a dead Jew who became half

of the feudal system and 100% of a theocracy that failed and became

the Pedophilia System of Uber holy men

• 6 months ago

only as much as any civilian. The right to vote the right to speak to assemblies

• JonZ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

ZERO! NADA! ABSOLUTELY ZILCH!

• 6 months ago

No power. No authority. No influence other than the freedom to express their views and see who else is persuaded by their arguments.

The problem is that government has to have the ability to enforce its laws, so it must be able to compel obedience. The only way to preserve any individual liberty is to limit the scope of the government's laws and actions.

Religion, on the other hand, has an unlimited scope. It addresses every aspect of life. Therefore, it must be kept separate from the compulsive power of government. Otherwise, the temptation to use that power is overwhelming.

Historically, whenever the two have been allowed to combine, the result has been oppressive government and corruption of the religion.

• Acetek
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

none at all........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.