How to meet people? Where, how? Please read, please help.?

I have a severe issue. That is, outside of work, I don’t have a life. I know... nobody. No friends, no romance... just a nice size bank account that goes towards nonsense that doesn’t make me happy. I am very very shy, however I do a damn good job at hiding it. But I never seem to progress relationships with... show more I have a severe issue. That is, outside of work, I don’t have a life. I know... nobody. No friends, no romance... just a nice size bank account that goes towards nonsense that doesn’t make me happy. I am very very shy, however I do a damn good job at hiding it. But I never seem to progress relationships with coworkers into friendships, etc. i would love to get out more, and go clubbing but I have nobody to go with. My parents isolated me from every family member leaving me empty. I do great at work, always seem to be the first to get promoted, and really excel in that area.. but we can all agree that that’s only great for the 1/3rd of my life being spent there. I want more than that. Is there a reason I’m so shy? I wish I could say to someone “why don’t we go out for coffee sometime?” Without feeling weird or stupid for it.

My social skills are horrible but on the outside I appear totally normal. I can easily chat up a cashier or talk to a colleague with a
big smile, but that’s not cutting anymore. I’m so lonely all the time, I see people who are attractive and wish I could go up & say hello. I’ve NEVER done that, in my whole life. Back in school, there was a girl I really had my eye on. She gave me all the choosing signals I needed, & I was great friends with her brother who told me she liked me. what did I do? NOTHING. waited around like a scared little kitten.
So here’s the question: Where can I meet people? How do improve my social skills? Details appreciated