It seems that I have to go to court for following too closely ticket? They won't let me pay the ticket online?

I recently got into a rear end car accident and they gave me a following to closely ticket .( I actually wasn't, I was looking down at my coffee cup too long and didn't react in time) but I didn't say anything because I figured they might have given me a worse ticket like distracted or reckless driving or carelessness or something that.

I didn't want to risk saying that I wasn't.

I tried to pay the ticket online, but it doesn't seem to let me. I guess I have to show up at court? Do I just say that I was following too closely.

My insurance paid for the damage.

I'm guessing I shouldn't tell the court the main reason I got into a car accident is because I didn't have my morning coffee before leaving the house?

Consult auto accident attorney Austin

BY DEFINITION, if you didn't have room to stop behind the vehicle in front of you, you WERE following to closely. If that resulted from looking at ANYTHING other than the road, your defense is a CONFESSION to a more serious charge.

The ONLY thing you tell the court is if you are pleading not guilty and requesting a trial. There is NO possible benefit to trial in your case.

• Bruce

You are not obligated to say anything, nor is it likely the judge will ask any questions other than "do you have anything you would like to say?". You can answer no.

But your first step should be to call the court clerk and see if it is a mandatory appearance, they may just be backlogged and haven't entered it yet.

If your question is whether you have to go to Court if you can't pay a ticket on line the answer is, duh, yes.

Should you tell the truth? I wouldn't lie, but that's up to you.

I was seriously injured by a man who was on his cell phone and t-boned my car. You are very flippant about injuring someone.

You are being fined because of your careless driving. You admitted that.