What estimated time will the new British PM be announced on Tuesday?

I'll be watching the news on Tuesday to see who becomes the new Conservative Leader, and therefore the PM! I was just wondering what time this is likely to occur? Is it random or is there usually an estimated time for the announcement?

• Pat

He's not the PM until the Queen accepts him as such.

And she might not.

mid afternoon i think, if there are no ambiguities with the vote count.

• Clive

This is up to the 1922 Committee and they haven't announced a time. Most likely it will be in the afternoon as the deadline for returning ballot papers is 5 pm the day before, so they'll want time to count papers that arrive at the last minute and check the totals.

Last time there was a ballot of the whole party membership was in 2005 and I can't track down what time that result was announced.

About the only thing I can say is who will announce it - Cheryl Gillan MP, Chairman of the 1922 Committee.

What is more certain is when the new leader becomes PM. Theresa May is planning to answer PMQs for the last time on Wednesday lunchtime. I expect PMQs to consist of lots of fawning and "sorry to see you go", at least from the Conservative side. Unlikely from Jeremy Corbyn as he has been most ungracious about her departure so far. The she will visit the Queen to formally resign (not necessary but it's traditional). Then the new leader will visit the Palace to "kiss hands" upon appointment soon afterwards. The new leader is not PM until this is done.

BTW the 1922 Committee, if you didn't know, consists of all Conservative backbench MPs and under party rules, it conducts leadership elections.

• martin

In Britain it should be announced early in the morning to give newspapers a chance to carry the story to the people.

• gerald

Tues 11 am Reuben but they are Tories and promises well ?

• gerald

your usual kick in the balls I got it off the internet Clive like your help obviously useless

I can tell you right now. It's Boris. There has NEVER been a more dead cert than him!

Whether he'll be any good of course is another matter!

• Brexit Ear

You must be confusing me with someone who gives a phuck!