Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 6 months ago

Will a divorce affect my citizenship application?

Married in 2012

Obtained green card in 2014

Green card expired 2016

Applied and passed citizenship test 02/2019

It s come to light that our son is not mine, therefore she cheated. In my country is dishonorable to stay with someone who has cheated. I want divorce as soon as possible but I don t want my case to be affected. I m awaiting the results and hoping for them any day now.

4 Answers

  • 6 months ago


    You can naturalize regardless of your marital status as early as 5 years after you became a resident. If that happened in 2014, you are in the clear.

    One more thing, being an immigrant myself, I find the "in MY country" remark offensive. You live in the United States for half a decade now and want to become a US citizen yourself. Thus, it's totally irrelevant what in your old country happens, as your country will be the United States of America very soon and here it is not dishonorable trying to save one's marriage. You can leave your wife for any reason, but the one you mentioned. F*ck your old country! If you are so attached to your old country, just move back there and save us the b*llsh*t.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    If you're applying for citizenship and were allowed to take the test it likely means you removed the marital conditions from your green card around the two year mark of your marriage. If that's true you could divorce her without it adversely affecting your citizenship application. However, to cite the standards of YOUR country as the reason you need to dump your US wife doesn't bode well for your assimilation here.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

    "In my country?" You passed the citizenship test, so, you are American now, or at least almost. The USA IS your country! Do what other Americans do - many of whom forgive.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

    IF conditions on your temporary (conditional) green card were not removed before it expired in 2016, and you never got a permanent GC, then you have been out of status for 3 years already. You are NOT qualified for naturalization. So you are an illegal alien & have to return home. Did you & your spouse apply for removal of conditions, get approved, & get a permanent GC before your conditional GC expired or not? Your GC must have had a minimum of 6 months remaining validity at the time you applied for naturalization. No valid permanent GC = no naturalization.

    That's a bigger problem than the state of your marriage.

    Any fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, misstatement or omission of facts in any visa/immigration-related application, interview, etc, is grounds for denial or revocation of any visa/immigration benefit. Fraud regarding the marriage is also grounds for annulment or divorce.

    Divorce & return to your country of citizenship. If your info here is accurate, you had to return home back in 2016. You will be barred from reentry to US for a minimum of 10 years.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.