promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 10 months ago

Why do some people kill themselves instead of seeking help?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Suicide is complex and there are many reasons someone might do that.

It might be that they feel so hopeless and just don’t think there is any point. They believe that getting help won’t do anything.

They have asked for help or told people they’re thinking of suicide, and it was brushed under the rug. Then people block that from their mind and pretend there were no warning signs. (I cannot tell you how many times people will accuse a suicidal person of seeking attention, and then if they actually go on to kill themselves, people pretend there were no warning signs).

Maybe they did get some help before, and it was inadequate. Maybe they had a bad experience with a therapist, psych ward, etc, and decided not continue.

Maybe they are aware of the stigma. No one believes young children can be suicidal. People assume teenagers are just being angsty, trendy, seeking attention, etc. Apparently teenagers and children are too young to have depression and other problems. Once you get to about 18-21 or so, suddenly you’re too old to have those problems. You’re expected to have you sh*t together. Etc.

We also know very little about mental health and psychology (one day people will be looking at how we treated and what we believed about mental health in this time era the same way we view the Middle Ages). So often times, if someone has treatment resistant disorders or a disorder that we just don’t have the resources to treat right now, they’re in tough luck.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • falcon
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

Because they are sick and tired of this game that called life.We suffer here and the soul suffer after we die.

• 10 months ago

Because it fixes their personal pain WAY FASTER and way more effectively than any form of therapy.

Let me be clear, I don't condone suicide at all. But it's obvious why people do it. It works, even if it makes the world worse and the problem could've been resolved another more harmless way.

• 10 months ago

Because the available help is often inadequate. It's just a fact, very troubled people who should perhaps have ECT often get sent home from the ER with a few Ativan.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

I think there are a lot of reasons. Many ppl. are brainwashed and think if their Dr. does not help, nobody can help but there are lots of ways. Sometimes, I offer suggestions but ppl. rely too much to Dr's who cannot help but keep ppl. for decades as their paying and suffering customer.

• 10 months ago

That I do not know Anon, unless they tried to and failed to get the correct reaction from the people they were seeking help from. It does happen. ;-(

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

who knows. it's not like anybody can ask them about it now

do you think maybe everybody that does suicide, has the same, standard issue motivation maybe?

probably some of them at least weren't really serious about killing themselves, were only making a play for attention by making the attempt, and accidentally managed to get the job done

probably some of them seriously just wanted to kill themselves. for whatever reason they might have had.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

It is a mental illness

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.