Will 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU prices drop again this year or should I just buy now?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • TomB
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I would imagine that there will be Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales....just like every year.

Kind of depends on how long you want to wait.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

It's hard to say because price histories and norms have been broken several time within the last few years by anomalies that have been happening within the market-space. Could these be man-made cash grabs? I don't know.

Most of the recent problems have revolved around one shortage or another. Now there are looming problems with International Trade and Tariffs. The market just recovered from a DRAM shortage, Intel is coming off a chip shortage, 2 years ago Crypto-currency mining created a huge Graphics card shortage, and only a few suppliers making Flash Memory created a storage within the SSD market.

Historically when a new generation of Graphics cards came out, this would be a boon to consumers because they could get more Graphics processing power for the dollar. This was not the case with the Nvidia RTX series. This was mostly a result of the GPU die being very large to accommodate the RT and Tensor cores.

It's hard to say if you should wait or not. The last 2 years Ryzen parts went down in price around Black Friday, but this time there are a few key differences.

-Intel will most likely not be releasing a new platform or a new series of processors. Intel released the 8th and 9th Generation parts around October/November of the last 2 years. This could change if Intel decides to rush Comet Lake out the door which will require a new socket.

-AMD is in a much better competitive position this time around.

-Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 was released 2-3 months later than the first 2 Generation of Ryzen.

-Trade disputes between Japan and South Korea might effect DRAM prices. This could possibly work it's way to Graphics cards because they use a form of DRAM.

-Trade disputes between the U.S. and China will effect prices of hardware that's manufactured in China, which is already happening.

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I'll second what TomB says, you can also find price history lists for the 2nd gen Ryzen chips as a comparison.

Computer parts are always getting cheaper so I usually just go with what I can afford at the time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.