Will 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU prices drop again this year or should I just buy now?

• TomB
    Favorite Answer

I would imagine that there will be Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales....just like every year.

Kind of depends on how long you want to wait.

It's hard to say because price histories and norms have been broken several time within the last few years by anomalies that have been happening within the market-space. Could these be man-made cash grabs? I don't know.

Most of the recent problems have revolved around one shortage or another. Now there are looming problems with International Trade and Tariffs. The market just recovered from a DRAM shortage, Intel is coming off a chip shortage, 2 years ago Crypto-currency mining created a huge Graphics card shortage, and only a few suppliers making Flash Memory created a storage within the SSD market.

Historically when a new generation of Graphics cards came out, this would be a boon to consumers because they could get more Graphics processing power for the dollar. This was not the case with the Nvidia RTX series. This was mostly a result of the GPU die being very large to accommodate the RT and Tensor cores.

It's hard to say if you should wait or not. The last 2 years Ryzen parts went down in price around Black Friday, but this time there are a few key differences.

-Intel will most likely not be releasing a new platform or a new series of processors. Intel released the 8th and 9th Generation parts around October/November of the last 2 years. This could change if Intel decides to rush Comet Lake out the door which will require a new socket.

-AMD is in a much better competitive position this time around.

-Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 was released 2-3 months later than the first 2 Generation of Ryzen.

-Trade disputes between Japan and South Korea might effect DRAM prices. This could possibly work it's way to Graphics cards because they use a form of DRAM.

-Trade disputes between the U.S. and China will effect prices of hardware that's manufactured in China, which is already happening.

• Fulano

I'll second what TomB says, you can also find price history lists for the 2nd gen Ryzen chips as a comparison.

Computer parts are always getting cheaper so I usually just go with what I can afford at the time.