Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 7 months ago

How do I overcome laziness/immaturity?

So, I'm in my early 20s, and I'm unemployed and not attending college. I graduated high school a few years ago (with mostly Cs), and I turned down college and refused employment (I tried volunteering at a few places, but never lasted long at any of them). The reason for all this is because I hate having to "adult." I am a huge Disney addict and spend hours watching their cartoons/movies and listening to music. I understand being like a kid all the time isn't going to benefit and I would like to change this. I have a friend who is the opposite of me, he is a workaholic and has been very successful in life. He'll do things that seem difficult/unpleasant, has several degrees, and is traveling the world (he's also a big Disney fan and is working with them). He says he can never stop working. I'm very jealous of him and wish I had his strong motivation to work. My friend also has a childlike personality but will get serious when he has to. Whenever I try to adult, I rage! I have such a hard time getting off the screens, taking my mind off Disney/cartoons, and doing serious adult work, but I understand we often have to act like adults in order to be successful in life. I'm terrible at doing that! I don't even brush or floss my teeth every day, I haven't clipped my toenails in so long, and I know that really needs to change! I want to be a responsible workaholic just like my friend, but don't know how to start. How do I change?

More info: I love my childlike personality and refuse to give it up completely. As I said, my friend is also very childish, but he has no problem going into adult mode. I struggle to be like an adult, I hate it so much, but I want that to change so that I can be more successful in life just like my friend.

@Jeff S - Thanks, I'll look into that.

@Susie - Nope, I'm in my early 20s (I won't say my exact age though).

@THE BANNIBAL ONE - Right. That's what I WANT to do. However, my immature mind makes it extremely difficult to work. I tend to get very angry and upset when I can't be a kid. This question is asking how I can switch my mind from being like a kid all the time to adulting and being more responsible.

• Jeff S
    Favorite Answer

Start to think about where you'll be when you're myage(55)! Maturity like respect is earned rather than given. That's the problem with today's younger generation.

My advice is to take a couple classes at a community college to figure out what you like to do. Meet and socialize with people.

Unless you're born into a wealthy family,

you will need to work for a living.