Kim Green asked in PetsBirds · 5 months ago

Should I intervene and help a baby bird back to its nest?

There’s a little fledging that is not in its nest. It’s flying short distances close to the ground but it’s not really going anywhere, so I’m not sure if this is just apart of this little birds life of leaving the nest and trying to fly off on it’s own or if it really just fell and needs to get back to it’s home. I can hear another fledging chirping in the tree it fell out of (presumedly. Both birds are making identically noises so im assuming it’s either a parent or sibling? Idk) I’m clearly no expert on this, but it’s literally 98 degrees outside right now and I don’t want it to suffer or get eaten. Lots of stray cats and dogs in my neighborhood.

Best to leave them alone, that is how they learn to fly.

You see à cat, you could stand guard and chase the cat if needed.

• y

Do not bother it, if you wish to help. Keep an eye in the sky and on the ground, for things that will want to eat it. If it becomes too weak and is in the sun, moving something to shade it without actually screwing with it.

Was watching one the other day from the nest under my deck that I have every year. I was on the deck watching it and suddenly a hawk swooped down and grabbed, happened so fast. I couldn't believe it just happened.

Do not touch the baby bird. I know that it's hard to just leave a chick that appears to be in distress (I've been there), but leave it for the parent to deal with. If you try to pick up the chick, you will probably frighten it half to death, because it does not know that you want to help. To a chick, you are just a great, big, looming creature that's come to eat it. Leave it well alone.

• Susie

The mother and or father are probably close by. This is how the young bird learns to feed itself and fly. It may be on the ground for several days. They are very vulnerable at this time. That is unless it is real young and somehow fell out of the nest. I would leave it alone and keep any pets away from it.