What is the reason why America is so divided?
- EntropyLv 76 months agoFavorite Answer
Politics has ALWAYS been divisive. Hell, some of our founders killed each other in DUELS. There were fistfights on the floor of congress.
However, I do think we're seeing a period where both parties AND THEIR VOTERS are moving further and further from center. I have three main causes.
1) Computer Aided Partisan Gerrymandering. There's nothing new about partisan gerrymandering. What's different is that computers and demographic data mean that it's now possible for consultants to draw hyperaccurate maps to achieve VERY specific election outcomes. General elections as a result are safer than ever. Incumbents who lose almost ALWAYS do so in their primaries. SCOTUS recently passed on addressing this, and I can't fault their legal logic for doing so. But this is a BIG problem, and both parties do it.
Safe general elections and threatening primaries means the average politician only gets threatened from their extreme flank. They don't have to worry about a centrist threat. So they become more extreme in order to inocculate themselves from the primary challengers.
2) McCain-Feingold and other Campaign Finance Reform. Anytime someone talks to you about getting money out of politics, you should punch them in the mouth. Every campaign finance reform has resulted in making incumbents safer, and the biggest was McCain-Feingold (MF).
MF's main contribution was to eliminate Soft Money, which was people donating to parties instead of candidates, and then the parties disbursing that money. Because it was uncapped, unlike Hard Money (which went to candidates), campaign reform advocates claimed it was a source of corruption. This was a lie.
Soft Money almost always was spent by the party on behalf of CHALLENGERS, not incumbents. Incumbents have a built in money and fame advantage and don't usually need help. So parties usually spent money on challengers. Soft Money in other words was making elections MORE COMPETITIVE. Which is why incumbents HATED soft money.
3) Modern Media. Let's not fool ourselves, media in America has never been as good as people some times think. Yellow Journalism and using newspapers for personal attacks of vendettas is as old as the very existence of the printing press. Maybe older.
But what has changed is that somewhere along the line, people developed faith in journalists. A misplaced faith. And the industry has fragmented and decayed since then. Now everyone picks their news source to confirm their own biases. Liberals only listen to liberally biased sources, conservatives only read conservatively biased sources.
And across all sources, journalistic responsibility is gone. The days of every article requiring two or more RELIABLE sources to go to print are gone. Now, even the slightest rumor goes straight to air. Being FIRST is more important than being RIGHT. And retractions are seldom issued, and never prominently. It's not uncommon for opinion to masquerade as journalism, and too many viewers can't tell where one ends and the other begins.
Because people choose their own sources to meet their bias, most people live in echo chambers where they never even hear opposing ideas presented in their original form...instead they at best will hear opposing ideas presented in a slanted derogatory form that ensures no one can find common ground.
- Anonymous6 months ago
Thickos believe their press - they are so dumb they don't realise they are being lied to...
- SBR32277Lv 76 months ago
I think the liberal media has played a huge role, as well as Hollywood and the Democratic Party. The left is shutdown to open discussions about solving problems our country faces and is also responsible for creating fake problems to push their agendas. There are Democrats who are not happy with the radical left, some have left the Party, some have pledged to vote for the GOP until sanity returns to the Democratic Party that for some unknown reason is supporting the socialist, fascist extreme left.
- JosephLv 66 months ago
Propaganda, and it all started with the 2000 election.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- NickLv 66 months ago
Trump. Who else? Trump hates anyone who isn’t white.
- 6 months ago
Eight long years of Obama's regime divided Americans like no other event in US history, plus the media was bought by foreign billionaires who made them into propaganda outlets very similar to Josef Goebbels' Nazi media.
- 6 months ago
Because the lunatic left still can't believe Hillary lost-
- Full Circle 33Lv 76 months ago
Obama 🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮this is the fine mess he got us in he just couldn’t forgive his father for birthing him with a white Jewish women
- samLv 66 months ago
Greed, bad education, fox and cnn news, slowly fading empire and unequal economy
- 6 months ago
The left believes lies. Truth gives them cognitive dissonance. They often respond violently. Examples? "All lives matter" "MAGA hats" "Praise Trump" ...