Rebecca asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

My cat poops outside of his litter box.?

My cat started pooping outside of his litter box about a year ago. We tried switching his litter, getting him a second box, moving the location of the boxes, and nothing has worked. He started pooping right next to his litter box which was easy to pick up and bearable, however now hes been pooping behind our couches, behind our television set, and elsewhere on our carpet. We don t know what to do. Can anybody offer advice?

We've taken him to the vet. No medical issues.

• Ocimom

Start by confining him to ONE room in the house with 2 litter pans (a bedroom would be fine). Get the Cat Attract litter to get him to use the pan again. Be sure your litter pans are big enough - he might think they are too small. You will need to clean up and spray Nature's Miracle on all the spots he's pooped or peed on and clean them up so he doesn't return to the spots.

Once he's more consistent, then slowly allow him into the other rooms and supervise him. When you are not there, then confine him back in his room till you can trust him again.

Be sure the pans are kept in a quiet spot with not a lot of traffic or out in the open too much.

oh my god!!! MY CAT DOES THE SAME EXACT THING. At first we learned that it was because she was blocked up and we had to take her to the vet to fix it. She stopped for a bit but kept on doin it. there are many possible explanations- could be the litter: cats often don't respond well to scented litter, my cat doesn't like fresh litter she needs to have new mixed with old. so you could try some new brands or new tactics. Also you should be sure to do the litter once a day. It could be a medical problem. Do you have any other cats? you should always have one more box than the number of cats in the house.

Is he declawed? If yes, then that could be the issue.

Did anything in his environment change? When my mother visited me, the (male) cat I had back then was not having it. He pooped on the bed that my mother slept in and peed in/on her luggage. The cat was neutered! He was the first cat I ever had. He also deliberately pooped next to his litter box whenever the box was not clean enough. He waited until I went to the bathroom where his box was located and looked at me while pooping next to the litter box. I was not able to change his behavior. I didn't have people sleep over and scooped his litter box as soon as I noticed it was dirty. Since he passed away, I have had only female cats. Never had that type of attitude problem with any of them.

• Maxi

Take your cat to the vets is the first thing as cats that do this are generally in pain, which could be a simple UTI or could be a more serious issue

Try Dr. Elsey’s Litter Box Attractant. It is an herbal mix that you add to the cats litter. This has worked in every case I’ve ever applied it to.

Also, keep the litter box very clean, remove ... “stuff” multiple times a day if necessary. When I had a litterbox (dont have a cat at all right now) I would remove any ... deposits ... every time I used the bathroom as the litterbox was next to the commode. Doing this, plus a full litter change and scrubbing weekly kept the litter box very clean which was nice for many reasons.

Many cats won’t use a nasty, dirty litterbox full of waste.

Take him to the vet.