Transportation for two; How do you take your baby with you when you don't drive?

I'm a 20 year old woman who's trying for a baby. Now this is all well and good, except for one small snag.

I can't drive.

Well, really, it's less of can't, and more of won't. I have had extreme anxiety issues all my life, especially with cars. It's like a claustrophobia feeling, but only when I'm in a car with all the doors shut.

I have tried to learn, and really have learned how to drive over the past few years with my husband's help, but I still don't feel safe, and I don't want to get my licence. My husband is an extremely safe driver, and in situations where it's needed, he can take us wherever we need to go.

I'm curious, do any of you other parents or parents to be have a plan for the unexpected outings? What do you do when you're out of milk and public transportation doesn't run in your area?

Thank you!

• Edna

I'm just going to say:: Forget about what you're going to do if you run out of milk. If worse comes to worse, take you child with you and walk to the store, or call a taxi.

If you're going to have a child, you are going to HAVE to get over your anxiety about driving and learn to drive a car. If you don't, when your child is older, how is he going to get to and from school, or to and from, baseball practice, etc,, if you're unable to drive him and there's no public transportation?.

• Brianna6 months agoReport

Transportation in the way of school buses are available in my area, and my husband is able to drive when he's off of work. I do not feel safe in cars due to PTSD, and my reactions to stressful driving conditions may be extreme. I'd rather not put anyone in danger, so I don't drive.

If you have stores not too far away you walk with your stroller but anything else you are kind of f__ked because you have to have the baby in a correct fitting car seat so just jumping in an uber or taxi you'll have to have the car seat. Look I have a coordination condition that makes driving extremely difficult but I still got my license.

• Brianna6 months agoReport

Car seats are easy to keep at home for when they're needed, and my issue isn't actual claustrophobia, it just feels similar. I have PTSD, and my reactions to stressful driving situations can be extreme. I prefer to not do it, but I do have a permit and am trying to work on it just in case.

• GB

I used to get buses or taxis if it was too far to walk. I think your biggest problem is feeling claustrophobic when all the car doors are closed. It wouldn't be safe to be in a moving car with an open door. So I suggest trying to get help for your anxiety before trying for a baby.

• Brianna6 months agoReport

My anxiety is related to PTSD, and I've been in therapy for well over 5 years now. It's mostly under control, but driving is not something I handle well, so I'm simply looking for possible alternatives in the rare case I need something. I do appreciate the response

• LizB

What do you do normally when you run out of milk and there's no public transportation in your area? Whatever you usually do, then do that. Just figure out how to take baby with you.

• Brianna6 months agoReport

My husband works at a grocery store, so it was more of a "what would you do" kind of question. I'm honestly not too worried about it, but I do like having a back up plan in case there would be an absolute need to go out. I appreciate the advice!

You walk, crawl,skip, Rollerblade, ride a bike, call a cab, call an uber call a friend, have it delivered, push a stroller or pull a wagon.

Cars been around for 100 years. SO WHAT. Does not matter what YOUR mom did or grandma did.

You are supposedly an Adult. You can figure something out. Try using that that thing above the neck for more than a hat rack.

Moms,carried baby for centuries before cars, before facebooklet,before twitting out tweets or making a phone call or even having a store to go to. My grandma walked out to the barn and milked the cow for fresh milk.

My mom had the milk man deliver 3 times per week. I walked all the way to the store and back home if necessary. If lots of groceries than it was cab for the home journey when my local store did not have delivery service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfLJ876lXsQ

Youtube thumbnail

It is so easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuTR1NxR8Xs

Youtube thumbnail

• Brianna6 months agoReport

Again, my husband works at a store, so the question was hypothetical. I have a condition that limits what I can do physically, so I was asking for advice for options and ideas, because I like to have plans before it's an issue. If there is no options, my mother is also a stay at home so she can help

There are services that deliver groceries directly to your home so I wouldn't worry much about that. So you plan ahead, order a little more of whatever it is you've figured out you need for a ~week or however long it will be until you order agin (milk, or whatever), and go from there. Planning ahead becomes a very important skill if/when you have a child, trust me on that, so you might start by ordering groceries first, well before having a child, and see if you can figure that out BEFORE it's during a time where you HAVE to have something right away.

As for your anxiety issues, I feel it's necessary to mention that having to care for a baby is very likely not going to help with your anxiety. Babies require vast amounts of attention, day and night, and babies are anything but reasonable when it comes to them wanting or needing anything. If I were you, I'd strongly consider getting your anxiety issues under control (and for a while, so you KNOW it's under control) before you even think of having a baby. You're still plenty young enough to wait a year or two to get your own issues resolved before having a baby that might otherwise compound those issues, making life a challenge for both you and your child. Good luck and best wishes.

• Brianna6 months agoReport

Hi! My husband works at a grocery store, so the milk thing was more of a hypothetical situation. I have PTSD and have my anxiety decently well under control, and it only reacts to certain triggers. However, I do have infertility issues so waiting a couple years may not be ab option. Thanks!

• JetDoc

Ask your mommy. Maybe she knows.

Plan ahead. Try to avoid running out of things.

Call family or friend if something unexpected does happen.

For nice weather, you can get a stroller so that you can walk places and push the baby in the stroller. Downside to that one is that many stores may not let your bring your stroller into their store. (fear of stroller being used for shoplifting) So, plan ahead and find out which stores would allow you to bring your stroller in or have a way to lock up your stroller outside while you are in the store. (The same type of chain lock used to secure a bicycle could probably be used to secure a stroller.) Of course, this also doesn't help unless you live within walking distance of a store you might need.

• Brianna6 months agoReport

We don't often run out of things, because my husband works at a grocery store. :) I appreciate the response, I'm just looking for ideas for the future because I like to have a plan well before it even becomes a problem.

You use your common sense and stock up for emergencies. People had babies before cars. Talk to your grandmother and get tips on how to cope without today's conveniences.

• Suzy Suzy Sue

A lot of people with medical issues drive. I doubt he was being condescending! I think he gave you good advice and didn't mean anything bad by it! Wonder why you thought so! ..Chill! : - ) ...