Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 7 months ago

I am afraid of getting injection. HELP!?

After some days, I will recieve dental filling treatment. For that the dentist will give me local anesthesia injections which I fear the most. I think I will feel very painful when I will recieve that local anesthesia injection. Tooth filling doesn't scares me but only injections instills fear in me. I am very anxious about it. What can I do?

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

Dentists these days put a numbing gel on the gum so you cannot feel the needle going in.

That's it, no pain.

There CAN be some discomfort when receiving an injection of local anaesthetic. Some places are more sensitive than others. Injections into gums are pretty much OK. Even if it stings a little, it is an anaesthetic so it soon kills the discomfort. It is never agony. It is never more than you can cope with. Any slight discomfort does not last long.

There are things that happen in life that can cause you REAL pain. Local anaesthetic injections do not come close to being serious.

Dentists are very good at giving these injections and will always try to do it in a way that is the most comfortable for you. If you explain your worries, it is possible your dentist could do something to make it easier for you. I have heard of anaesthetic gel being applied before the injection in some cases. Sometimes we just have to make ourselves do things that we are not comfortable with.

You will be fine .. honestly. I've had hundreds of local anaesthetic injections and survived every one of them :)

• VAA

The tooth filling should scare you, the pain would be unbearable for more than just a few seconds. To overcome the fear of needles I look away, put my mind on something that makes me happy and totally relax my body. Keep telling yourself that it is for your own good, to fix that tooth that could become infected without the help of your dentist. Relax, it will be okay.

The needle is so thin that you hardly feel a thing. Just try to relax.