Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

How might I handle a co-worker who frequently refers to my age? Details below...?

He constantly refers to me as "ppl your age" and to other coworkers as "ppl my age." I am not his supervisor and we have the same amount of job experience (same title and we started the same year).

Update:

The co-worker is about 10 years younger than I am.

Update 2:

I haven't ruled out going to HR but was wondering what I might say to the offending co-worker instead of going to HR right away. Comments from this co-worker have been along the lines of: "What does a person of your age think about this news event?" OR "Why do ppl of your age always do this...?"

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You could probably end this by saying, "I don't talk about how old you are so you shouldn't talk about how young I am".

• 5 months ago

Just ignore it or tell them to refer to you by name. What does it even mean? I wouldn't report it, it's annoying but harmless I think.

• `
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

"With age comes wisdom." Just keep repeating this as necessary.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i would just ignore her, if she knows it bothers you she will do it even rnore

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

This is a HR problem. And you can start documenting when they do this and who is around. And show it is a frequent comment they make about you.

You can give a clear and curt answer back. You seem to have a problem with my age as you always make reference to it. shall we talk to our boss or HR about it?

Have a talk with your boss, ask that the three of you have a short conference about this employee always referring to your age as a detriment to the company.

• Cara
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You don't say whether he is older or younger than you, so it's difficult to understand the exact problem, but why don't you say the same thing back to him, since age is what interests him?

• Cara
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

If he wants to talk about age, question him about it. What does he mean? You've really given very little for us to go on.

• 5 months ago

HR. Report it.

Then this person will be verbally talked to about it. If not... find a better job until you're happy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.